Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Harry Potter fabric >

Harry Potter fabric

Harry Potter fabric

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Wink Harry Potter fabric

From time to time many of us, myself included, have wanted or used Harry Potter fabric. We know how rare it is to find but some may not know the reason for this. When J.K. Rowling was approached to allow her characters to be made into fabric, she agreed...much as she did regarding the various other collectables. However whatever ideas the designers had or whatever fabric swatches were shown for her to agree or something else, in the end didn't meet with her approval. From then on she has refused to allow any further production of fabric.

This is a loss for all of us quilters, sewers, & crafters. The few fabrics out there become more scarce. And as with everything in the supply vs demand market, some people can only see the money side & ask outrageous prices. Such as this Ebay auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BonEful-Fabr...item5d359aadc0

It's a FQ!

Then you have the opposite side where other people who are labeling anything remotely "wizardly" as "Harry Potter". Unless it specifically has one of the characters or the HP lightning bolt logo or the House Crests or Golden Snitches, etc, it's NOT authentic. This however doesn't stop these people. To them, if it has stars, or owls, or swirls, it is automatically "Harry Potter." Here is another example. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BonEful-Fabr...item5d3994c19c

Just because it has toads on it?! This is actually a Benartex fabric called "Nature's Etchings."

So good luck to all the Harry Potter fabric hunters. I have been there. Beware the fakers. Thank you.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM

I know what you mean Redhawk. That seller on eBay is absolutely ridiculous and they have been at it for a long time. They contacted me thru missingfabrics.com one time for an oop fabric I was looking for. They wanted $25+ a yard for it. They became extremely rude when I told them that the fabric wasn't worth $25 a yard and that I wasn't interested in purchasing from them. I did find the fabric at a quilt shop who still had some for $9 yard and got what I needed. I then wrote the eBay seller and told them that I had found a source that wasn't willing to gouge the buyer.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Isn't that irksome! Argh!

I have a favorite author that I have read all of her books except the first five. Those five sold for $1.99 each when new since they were McFadden's (series romance). Last I looked, someone had them for sell, as a set, $2,000! As much as I would love to read those books, I draw the line at something so outrageous.

But, as long as someone out there is willing to pay the price, this type of thing will continue.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM

I know what you mean. I'm a huge HP fan, and have always wanted to make a wizard quilt. What about collecting Harry Potter t-shirts and making a t-shirt quilt from those? That's what I'm thinking of doing. In fact, we're going to visit Harry Potter World in Orlando and I hope to pick up a few there!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Oh gosh! I am so glad that I bought the two panels of Harry potter of harry himself. I don't really care for the matching ones as long as I have Harry, the panel is large and I can surround the with the blocks from the quilt of doom that is all pp and they are all block of hogworths stuff.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 PM

I have a 8 year old grandson who has read all the HP books since spring. I would give anything to find fabric to make a quilt for him. This stinks!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I have a 8 year old grandson who has read all the HP books since spring. I would give anything to find fabric to make a quilt for him. This stinks!!!
There is a site that has free paper piecing patterns of everything Harry Potter. http://www.fandominstitches.com/2011...ry-potter.html
Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the fandominstitches site, I also searched and saw outrageous prices from greedy people and wondered what was going on, I don't paper piece but it gives me ideas to make my own appliques.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 AM

Do you know of this site? It is PP, but maybe it's some help
http://sewhooked.com/harry-potter/
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 PM

Yes I have, lots of great blocks there....wish I did paper piece but I only hand sew ....