Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has any one ordered the new Cameo Shiloutte that comes out today?? >

has any one ordered the new Cameo Shiloutte that comes out today??

has any one ordered the new Cameo Shiloutte that comes out today??

Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Love my scan n cut, by the way, they do have a website that allows you to design on there and then download in the correct format. It is great at cutting fabric rather its starched, or has fusible on it. I just used the fusible on the bolt from Joann's. You don't have to have a particular brand. Lots of videos on line plus on Create TV, Its sew easy tv show has been using it alot lately too. They aren't promoting it but teachers like Crafty Gemini and Angela Wolfe use it to cut different things they normally applique using the emb machine. This feature really makes applique on the emb machine go so much faster and cleaner looking. They have two different price points, both machines do the same thing, the one that is about 100 more has so much more with it that you'd pay more than 100 to buy the added items later on. You can also scan doc, pics, etc onto your pc like a regular scanner so its not just for crafters. You can even have your kids or grandkids sign thier names and have the machine cut them out and add it to a project. It will be nice yrs later to see thier handwriting when they were small.
Well, I made the plunge! In the city between Dr. appointments and walked into Michaels looking for a new Nativity for church and low and behold--the Cameo Shilloutte was on sale--for $229. Since I had not been able to find the Scan N'Cut for less than $449 on sale at Hancock's, and since there were features about the Shiloutte that made it seem very user friendly (including that you can use without the computer by using an SD card) I went with that. Figured the price was best for me since my intent is to cut for landscape quilts and some applique--not to do jelly rolls,squares, etc. I'll keep you posted!
Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Well, I made the plunge! In the city between Dr. appointments and walked into Michaels looking for a new Nativity for church and low and behold--the Cameo Shilloutte was on sale--for $229. Since I had not been able to find the Scan N'Cut for less than $449 on sale at Hancock's, and since there were features about the Shiloutte that made it seem very user friendly (including that you can use without the computer by using an SD card) I went with that. Figured the price was best for me since my intent is to cut for landscape quilts and some applique--not to do jelly rolls,squares, etc. I'll keep you posted!
Exciting!! Let us know how it works out for you!! It's always so fun to have a new toy...
Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 PM

I have the Silhouette Cameo and rarely use it and it just sits on the shelf. Mainly used it to cut fabric appliques. I think it is better for scrap bookers and people that make paper things and vinyl and a very expensive toy. It is labor intensive to learn and I am computer savvy. I like my Go Cutter better for fabrics. I have said before I am a very poor rotary cutter because I had a bad experience early on in quilting so am very apprehensive about cutting. But I have a dear friend who recently has taught me how to rotary cut and am really enjoy cutting now! I am always learning things about this hobby!!!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Since I got the Cameo Monday, I've sat in the dentist's chair all Tues afternoon, went to the KC Royals World Series Game 6 (10-0 Royals!) and Wed very early dashed to my son's in Omaha to see my 3rd g-son born Tues--so tomorrow I get to play with my new toy! I'll keep you posted!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Since I got the Cameo Monday, I've sat in the dentist's chair all Tues afternoon, went to the KC Royals World Series Game 6 (10-0 Royals!) and Wed very early dashed to my son's in Omaha to see my 3rd g-son born Tues--so tomorrow I get to play with my new toy! I'll keep you posted!
Well, finally tried it out! Actually found it pretty easy to use and had decided that I'd try one of the shapes that came with it and if it did not cut well, then it was gong back to store. so I cut out two maple leaves from the library and they were perfect! And used my own Heat N'Bond lite weight. So next step is to scan in a pattern from an old quilting magazine to see how that feature works. And who knows--I might even put the instructional CD in and see what I'm really doing!

I agree with those of you that say you don't use Silhouette for cutting strips, squares,etc and only use it for appliques--which is the reason that I bought it (hate cutting out involved shapes). It' just so much easier to use a rotary cutter for regular shapes--but this is great for applique and art quilts.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 AM

I just purchased the Gemini companion which cuts not only up to 6 layers of fabric but also has a Build a block dies that will cut I think 5 different block sizes for get this $ 95.00 yes that is for all of the dies.It also has great reviews.I should have machine and dies by Sunday.If anybody is interested will let you know how it works out.I researched several different machines and the price of the dies is what convinced me. I am so excited I can not wait to get it in the mail.Does anyone on this board have one and if so do you like it?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by retta97 View Post
I just purchased the Gemini companion which cuts not only up to 6 layers of fabric but also has a Build a block dies that will cut I think 5 different block sizes for get this $ 95.00 yes that is for all of the dies.It also has great reviews.I should have machine and dies by Sunday.If anybody is interested will let you know how it works out.I researched several different machines and the price of the dies is what convinced me. I am so excited I can not wait to get it in the mail.Does anyone on this board have one and if so do you like it?
Do you mean the Gemini die cutter from Crafter's Companion? It's a very popular die cutter with the papercrafting crowd. It only cuts low profile dies-not the thicker dies like the big shot and accuquilt cutters do. I have a Gemini Jr but I only use it with paper so far.

If you mean a different cutter, can you provide a link to it? I'm definitely interested in taking a look.