Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anybody enlarged a finished quilt? >

Has anybody enlarged a finished quilt?

Has anybody enlarged a finished quilt?

Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan
You folks are wonderful! I'm sure I can do it now, due to your descriptions! ;o) But I do love those pix, if you want to post any! Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions and info. jan
OK, here's the one I enlarged for a client. His mom had made this rail fence years before, and he wanted it to fit his queen bed when she passed away. It's hand quilted. Please ignore the blue marker, I hadn't washed it yet
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272685.jpe  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 AM

Sure, that will work. Just remove the binding and piece the new top border and backing on. Also whip stitch the edges of the batt together so they don't pull apart after quilting. Do the quilting and rebind.

Sandy
Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me...
Depending on the quilt and the pattern, you could enlarge it using a quilt-as-you-go technique.
Thanks for the pix. I like the ruffle idea, too.
The third quilt I made had a ruffled skirt. It made the quilt too heavy to sleep under. But removing the quilt to go to bed wasn't something I wanted to do every night, and where do you put that pile of fluff? Keeping the skirts unwrinkled was impossible. I ended up giving it away to my sister, but she too wouldn't use it.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 AM

I took a wall hanging that no longer fit in the room's decor and enlarged it into a lap quilt for Hospice. I saw a video by Sharon Pedersen on THE QUILT SHOW. She sewed the "new back" and the "new front" onto the existing quilt (right sides together back to back, front to front). Then in the existing seam allowance she added the "new batting" by doing a serpentine stitch WITHIN the seam allowance - don't go too wide and go into your new seam. I've done it, it's easy, and it works well. Then, you can quilt your added portion, trim it, and bind. I oversized my added portions so I could trim them evenly afterwards for binding.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
I'm wondering if its possible to enlarge a quilt by adding another border, after the quilt is finished. I have a lap quilt that measures 36x42 and its just not big enough to suit me. I have been wondering if it might be possible to add a border or two (using Warm & Natural) if I'm careful and get it butted good and tight. Has anyone done this or any other method? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. Jan
I have done that, just as you mentioned. I cut a piece of backing the same size as the border. Sewed it on with the backing right side to the back of the quilt and the border right side of the quilt front. In other words the quilt was sandwiched between the backing strip and the border. Using spray adhesive I inserted the batting and then quilted it. So two long sides and then the two short sides. Bind as usual.
This is how I do all my quilts....make the center 1st, sandwich and machine quilt, then add borders and quilt then bind.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 AM

I enlarged a quilt for a friend.

I just added a border (just sewed
it to the quilt) and then quilted
by machine.

J J
Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 AM

I have enlarged a small quilt. I added backing, batting and borders to a crib quilt. I made the batting about 1/2 inch smaller than the backing and border material. Then sewed it onto each side of my quilt, just like you would on a "quilt as you go" project. Then to complete my border pattern (because the quilt had already been quilted) I just sewed straight lines about 3/4 inches apart up and down the new border section. Then added my binding and it looked great.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM

I am planning on enlarging my daughter's quilt within the next week or so-plan on going with quilt as you go and make 16' wide pieces dwon the side and 10' across the top-will be frech seaming it together but on the top not the back as I can work it into the motif I am doing-good luck with yours. Georgia Bonesteel is famous for quilt as you go -try looking her up on PBS.com
Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM

I'm wondering if its possible to enlarge a quilt by adding another border, after the quilt is finished. I have a lap quilt that measures 36x42 and its just not big enough to suit me. I have been wondering if it might be possible to add a border or two (using Warm & Natural) if I'm careful and get it butted good and tight. Has anyone done this or any other method? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. Jan
If you remove the binding you should be able to easily butt the batting up against it after the new border has been added. I do this all the time on my long-arm, and it works on FMQ also.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Here's one I just made bigger

Quit before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273060[/ATTACH]

Quilt with extra borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]273061[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-273007.jpe   attachment-273008.jpe