Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone any idea how to put a folded strip on to a border

Banned
    That sounds yummy, Suz. Do you have a picture? I'm working on a collaged fabric panel (sparked by an article in the Feb/March issue of Quilting Arts Magazine) where collaged, embroidered, embellished blocks will be appliqued onto a quilted background. It's very monochromatic in blacks and browns. I think I might try a narrow flange of subtle color like brick red between the background and the appliqued blocks.

Suz
    Yes, I have pictures but I am not computer literate enough to post. Sorry. The brick sounds great with the blacks and browns. As I was reading, knowing the subject, I was thinking red. Interesting. Be sure to post your photos.

Suzanne

Nor'easter, I misspoke. I meant it would be easier than making a custom "piping," not "binding."

Banned
    Having made bias covered piping for a sofa reupholstry project years ago, I agree with you wholeheartedly on that score! :wink: Thanks for setting me straight, EQ.

I'm a real "newbie" to quilting, so had never heard of this, BUT, last weekend, I had the opportunity to attend a quilting retreat at the Jan-Kay Ranch, just east of Paris, Texas, and the guest instructor, JoAnn Cross, suggested it for my wall-hanging. And, of course, then she taught me how to do it! It is so very easy, but adds a tremendous punch to your project!

I made the blocks after taking a class from Patti O'Donnell at our local quilt shop in Sapulpa last fall, but had not set them together until the retreat.

I also love the suggestion on the website that was referenced above, about using rick-rack for the trim. I think that would be wonderful, especially on a baby quilt maybe?

Try it, you'll like it!
    Sara

PS I don't know about all quilting retreats, but this one was absolutely wonderful! Quilting Merchantile in Celeste, Texas was the sponsoring shop and it was a fabulous weekend. If you ever get a chance to attend one of these retreats, I highly recommend it!

Close up of "fussy-cut" cardinal block
    Name:  Attachment-7074.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  57.0 KB

Double Irish Chain wallhanging
    Name:  Attachment-7296.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  50.9 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2