Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one) >

Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one)

Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one)

Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 PM

Default Has anyone bought a quilt (not an antique, but a new one)

Last year I bought a beautiful Christmas quilt made by someone else. The handwork was gorgeous and it was made at a skill level far beyond mine. It was expensive (I know what this work takes!) and I was so pleased to pay for it. It remains my absolute favorite quilt. Has anyone else done this?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:41 PM

I have admired many many quilts. A few years back I was bidding on a quilt at a silent auction. I didnt win. For some reason I decided that I would make my own quilt. Last year I took a beginner basic sampler quilt class and absolutely fell in love with quilting. I have made many quilts since then and have been getting better at piecing.

So to answer your question...No, but I almost did! And Im really happy I didn't or I would have discovered my love for quilting!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 PM

The first year I went to Paducah (about 15 years ago), I bought a miniature quilt. It's the spools pattern, all hand pieced and hand quilted. I wanted a momento. It was about $100 which was a lot of money for me at the time.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:59 PM

I never did buy one because of the price but it was exquisite made by the Amish in Lancaster County, I really wanted to buy it but at $500 it was just too much, as a quilter you know what went into the making of it but couldn't justify the cost.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 PM

not a professional one because they cost and I can't afford that and my hobby
Old 11-30-2014, 01:25 AM

Yes, I bought one once at a Quilt Show & we use it every day. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

NO, I have never had the money to buy a new quilt.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:36 AM

We live not too far from an Amish area. While traveling thru there I had to stop and look at the quilts displayed at a large farm. And of course, I bought one. It's a hand-pieced, hand-quilted queen-sized double wedding ring in soft greens and pinks. It drapes to the floor on a queen bed and is absolutely gorgeous. I know this is something I'd never be able to make myself and felt it was well worth the asking price just to recognize the abilities of the quilt makers and to enjoy the beauty of it.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Although I make all my quilts now, my husband bought me a lovely quilt at Cracker Barrel on Valentine's day.
It is beautifully quilted by machine I am sure. I love it.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:25 AM

I bought a cute one when I first started quilting and didn't think I would ever be able to make my own that big and intricate looking. I laugh now but I still have it and use it all the time. It's a log cabin in blues and whites. Made in China but done pretty well. I still love it and use it as a tablecloth. I'm one of those with quilts displayed everywhere in my house so it is fitting that the dining table has a quilt on it. I'm still amazed that it has been through the wash (yes in the machine, but on gentle) so many times and is still holding up. I would do it again in a heart beat!