Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever heard of a Mothers quilt? >

Has anyone ever heard of a Mothers quilt?

Has anyone ever heard of a Mothers quilt?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Here's the thing. We were at a family party yesterday and my niece-in-law asked if I ever heard of a "Mothers quilt". I said no I have heard of a T-shirt quilts and memory quilts but not a "Mothers quilt". (She has baby clothes that she like me to make a quilt with). I told her I would google it. I find pictures of quilts that people have made for their mothers.

I did come across this site:
http://www.campusquilt.com/order/t-shirt-wee-quilt.html

I thought this is cute, don't know if this what she wants but I could surprise her this somthing like this. I am asking you would you using only half the garment, or the whole garment and fuse it to the block or applique, or....... what would you do?

Thanks all
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM

I have saved the most memorable clothes from when my boys were little, and of course all of the t-shirts from their various activities. I never heard it called a mother's quilt, but I planned on something very similiar to give them when they are married. I wasn't going to sew the whole outfit, just cut parts of it for blocks.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

There's been several threads lately of quilts that people have made using their children's old clothing .... or for others. Sorry, I didn't bookmark them, but if you look around, or try the search function, perhaps you'll find them!

Another to look at for inspiration would be the Dolly Days quilt. I believe the lady doing this quilt is not using old clothing, though you could do that.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 AM

The quilts in the link are so cute. It does not look like it would be difficult. Maybe you could just separate the front from the back and then applique the front of the outfits to the quilt.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 AM

I've heard of a version from long ago when the blocks were made of the birthstone colors and flowers of the childrens' birth months and presented to the mother.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Here's the thing. We were at a family party Saturday and my niece-in-law asked if I ever heard of a "Mothers quilt". I said no I have heard of a T-shirt quilts and memory quilts but not a "Mothers quilt". (She has baby clothes that she like me to make a quilt with). I told her I would google it. I find pictures of quilts that people have made for their mothers.

I did come across this site:
http://www.campusquilt.com/order/t-shirt-wee-quilt.html

I thought this is cute, don't know if this what she wants but I could surprise her this somthing like this. I am asking you would you using only half the garment, or the whole garment and fuse it to the block or applique, or....... what would you do?

Thanks all
Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I think maybe each item would be treated as it needs to be done. My first thought is to use the front or back half and not the complete garment. Same way with the fuse/applique. Is it going to be used or displayed only? Play around with it and see what works. Sounds like a fun project:)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 AM

I would only use the front of the garmet. It's not going to be useable either way, so I would cut down on bulk. That's a nice idea to make a quilt out of favorite outfits and will bring back memories of happy occasions.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 AM

The little lace dress and booties are beautiful.
LOLOL on the I love robin one. somebody really loves robin
Old 06-27-2011, 05:08 AM

I can't remember where I saw it, but I do remember someone taking baby clothes, cutting them up and putting them together as a quilt. It was meant to be used and loved, I am sure.
It was something like when people take the shirts of a person who has passed and making memory quilts from them.