Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone ever made a rag quilt with fabrics other than pure cottons?

Has anyone ever made a rag quilt with fabrics other than pure cottons?

My mom passed away earlier this year, and I have saved most of her clothes. I would like to make small, lap sized rag quilts for her remaining sisters. The clothes are made of different types of fabrics, some cottons, and some poly. She had many knit tops and some fleece items that I plan to use as the backing for the squares. I have the rag dies for my Accu-Quilt so the cutting would be fairly easy. I'm just not sure how the different fabrics would react when washed, and wondering if anyone else had tried something like this? I will make up a small sample to test also, but if anyone has experience with a similar project, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

I have made rag quilts using flannel and also using fleece. The fleece doesn't rag, but it still looks good. The first picture is a flannel rag and the second is a fleece rag.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Chocolate is the Answer. Who cares what the question is.

Those look really nice! I love the flannel one. Thanks for posting the pictures.

The best rag quilts I have seen are made with flannel. It seems to "rag" better than other fabrics.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I don't know how well the poly will rag either. You could sew a few patches together, wash, dry and see how it does. I usually use (cotton) flannel, with some corduroy thrown in.