Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried "Country Barns" by Fons and Porter?

Blog Entries
    I saw this pattern in a magazine--and had to research to find the book the pattern was in--then find the book to order it. I guess you could say I was obsessed. I love barns. I guess my forum name gives that away. :D

The pattern is gorgeous--but I'll do it in brighter colors...but there are some tricky spots--color wise if brighter colors are used, having to do with sky meets grass sort of things. I'd love to discuss with someone if they're familiar with this pattern. (more specific questions in reply below)

I took a picture of the picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I added the picture!

See how the background fabrics are all so light? Well--I've collected bright greens, blues, browns, and even little flowers for the background--and I'm unsure as how to place them. Should blue or green go behind the trees? And how high should green go? I have some mixed colors that will help to blend the two.

Suggestions or advice anyone?? :?:

Oh! This was going to be my first try at using photos--I want to add photos of my horses to the barn doors. :D

I like the quilt and the log cabin border really adds to it.

I see what you mean. The sky layer at tallest pine tree would be the same as the ground level above it. That could be tricky. Do you have a blue/green blend for that area?

Maybe a batik that has both colors side by side? Or dip-dye a piece of blue into yellow to use? I think if you tried adding nother row of blocks, piecing the border would be hard to figure out.

If you print the picture out in black and white, then color in the squares, you will see what I'm saying.

Blog Entries
    Moonpi--I love the printing out in black and white idea!! I did that to decide how to paint a porch railing. :D

I do have a few blue green blends. One is of tiny white flowers; one is tiny checks. And batiks might be just the thing too!! I have a few of those and some quilt stores nearby that have LOTS more. I always wondered if batiks would look okay with regular fabrics--you know--non-batik material.

You're full of great ideas!! If you happen to study on it at all I'd love to know any more you come up with. :D

Blog Entries
    Love the idea of putting your horses faces on the barn doors :D

If you had the grass end where the first or second layer of branches start, on each of the trees, it would give the background and almost rolling hills effect. Batiks mix well with other fabrics especially here where you are looking for a landscape effect. There are a lot of blue and green batiks that would work well for this. Fussy cutting the batik fabric would also help with the rolling hill effect, as you can find a spot in the fabric that the pattern is going slightly uphill or downhill and it would help blend in the grass and sky all the way across each horizontal section. You could even cut the fabric a little on the bias and if you iron on freezer paper before you cut it and leave it on until you get the block assembled, the bias would not be an issue then.
    If you assemble all of the blocks in one of the horizontal sections at the same time, you could line them up and as you do each row of the individual blocks, you would really be able to see how the horizon line will run.
    That is my 2 cents worth, however you decide to do this, I know that it is going to be an awesome quilt and most definitely a keeper :D

Batiks go with anything, and most of them you can use front or backside up. They do seem a bit thicker if you are hand quilting. Are you looking for a chunky look like plaids would give you, or a more fluid line, like the rolling hills Amma was talking about?

I like it and can't wait to see what fabrics you decide to use. Ya'll always have such good ideas on this board.!

Great Pattern I love barns too, we have to keep the old ones alive pretty soon there want be any left, Have fun thanks for sharing. :D :D

Blog Entries
    I can't tell you how much fun it is to talk this out before I start. :D I can take a picture of the fabrics I have collected so far...they are so much brighter than the sample quilt. Kind of blinding actually. :wink: but I must do what I must do.

I'll get that picture soon and you all can dive in with more suggestions.

I don't know anything about using freezer paper... but I do know what you mean about the fussy cutting.

I'll tackle this quilt as soon as I finish the one I'm on... and that one has a solid start. Of course...after the teaching stuff is done and the horses are fed and tucked in...and if I'm not exhausted. Quilting always comes last. But both my kids just left for college again and I'm feeling a need to keep busy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast