Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever used a serger to piece a quilt top? >

Has anyone ever used a serger to piece a quilt top?

Has anyone ever used a serger to piece a quilt top?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Dee

I haven't as I would have all the fabric in the basket. I like it on making clothes and curtains etc.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM

I made a denim "crazy quilt" topper/ bedspread on my serger, even the binding. (Recycled blue jeans.) No fraying here! One was queen sized and one was twin. I added labels, pockets, etc. on the twin size - it was for a teen nephew. They are so heavy you have to be in the position you intend to stay in all night when you pull them up over yourself! They will last forever and 1/2!! :)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Yes, I have made several and it's a really cool process. The last one I made I found on the internet and is called Serger Quilt as You Go Baby Quilt. But I added a few more rows to it to make it a little bigger for a bed throw for the end of my bed and it turned out very nice. I've never make a full size one though.

Another one is in a book titled Serge Smart edited by Julie Johnson - it has a really nice table runner in it.

A web search will give you a lot of resources too, I'm sure, but I find it a fun way to put one together all at once and not needing to add more quilting stitches after it's constructed.

Have fun!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM

I have used my serger almost exclusively for the past 8 years to piece. It does add a bit of bulk to the seam but since I was handquilting away from the seam it didn't seem to matter. I did like the fact that I didn't have lots of stray threads. I have begun using my regular machine for piecing now because my serger is beginning to show serious signs of aging and I would like it to last until the 20 year mark! I don't want to spend the money now to replace it! I don't sew clothing without it though!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 PM

I have a serger that I've barely used (shame on me)...but I've been wanting to try a quilt with it...even bought a book, but haven't gotten around to it...yet! :)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM

I recently did a serger quilt at the Eleanor Burns retreat in Richmond in June. It was the first time I had worked with a serger. The quilt turned out OK but I don't know that I would buy a serger just to do quiling work.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 AM

Yes...LOTS of baby "floor" quilts. I made and sold these for many years...have probably made close to a couple of hundred this way, all on the serger. They tend to lay flatter on the floor for a baby that is just starting to grab for things...less bunching under baby's chin. ;)

Another serger project I did was just a top....made for a table cloth so I wanted the back to be "finished".

Patti
Old 09-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Funny you should bring this subject up. A wonderful gal in Colorado just sent me a book from Sewing with Nancy series as I had remembered Eleanor Burns doing quilts on her serger. She did not have seams showing and did do quilt block pattern quilts. Anyhow wanting a faster way to sew charity quilts, I was looking for information and this terrific woman, whom I do not know, mailed me this book!

I would like to find some of the old Eleanor Burns serging patterns if they are out there - Does anyone know of any?

Thanks - Cindy
Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Grama Lehr,

Am looking for destructions, book or patterns for serging quilts.
Can you tell me the name of your book please?

Thank you.

Cindy
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM

I saw someone using the chain stitch on their serger to quilt with. My machine doesn't have that option but it was interesting to see.

I think using a serger on heavier fabrics like denim would be great. Maybe that is what I need to do for the one my son requested.