Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    As in... while most of us are still "collecting"... has anyone here ever wanted to do the reverse, and un-collect, or part with their fabrics?

If so, what do you think caused your change of mind?

Pam
    Nah, I just want to use mine! I have about 6 tops that need to be quilted and about 10 projects in various stages of completion.

Um...yeah. I guess I just have a hankering for more sophisticated fabrics, and when I bought some of my stash, I was in more of the "pretty, dainty, pink" phase. So, I'd better start sewing so I can put it to good use before I absolutely hate some of them. :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Nah, I just want to use mine! I have about 6 tops that need to be quilted and about 10 projects in various stages of completion.

i am right with you Pam..i do use my stash...but would never dream of giving it up,unless it was going to help out another quilter!

I would love to deplete my stash so I can rationalize buying more. When I buy now, I feel guilty because I have so much at home. (That doesn't stop me, however).
    I've opened my stash to my quilting group and selling it for less than half of what I paid for it.

Banned
    Get outta here! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    As in... while most of us are still "collecting"... has anyone here ever wanted to do the reverse, and un-collect, or part with their fabrics?

If so, what do you think caused your change of mind?
    At one time I was giving away my 80s and early 90s stash as most of them were not colorfast. I had inherited lots from a couple of elderly family members pass away who were avid sewers. I've pretty well only got fabrics from 2000 and up.

Oh, yes, I've wanted to deplete my stash....so I have 2 scrappy quilts started. But, OH, I need a green to go with that, and a blue with that one......so now I have MORE stash than when I started out!!!!

I've donated some of my stash to charity work and send some to wonderful people on this board. I sometimes wonder why I bought some of the fabrics that I did, but still plan on using them in a quilt. Even though I've given fabric away I don't plan on getting rid only adding more to my stash. My tastes have changed over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    I've donated some of my stash to charity work and send some to wonderful people on this board. I sometimes wonder why I bought some of the fabrics that I did, but still plan on using them in a quilt. Even though I've given fabric away I don't plan on getting rid only adding more to my stash. My tastes have changed over the years.
    I think that is true of all of us. In spite of inheriting alot of fabric from family members I do not always like what I get because my tastes have changed alot. I donate alot of fabric to a local ladies group who sew quilts for charity and they are more than happy to get it. So I don't feel like I'm wasting, just passing it on and buying fabric that more suits what I like. I don't carry alot of stash. Mostly fabrics I can't live without and lots of neutrals and backing that I find on sale.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast