Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone hand pieced a quilt? >

Has anyone hand pieced a quilt?

Has anyone hand pieced a quilt?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:10 AM

I am actually taking vacation next week and we are going 'camping' for 4 days (yeah right - a 29 ft trailer does not mean real camping - RVing perhaps?) and I want to bring some handwork with me (I don't want to lug the machine for just 4 days....) - I want to start a Celtic Illusions quilt and since you can do a corner square technique for these, I thought this would be perfect for hand sewing the blocks when I get tired of reading or actually have to talk to someone (hahaha). The question is what type of stitch works best for hand piecing? Is a running stitch strong enough or should I use a backstitch? Also - what kind of thread - quilt thread or regular?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 AM

I use 50 wt cotton thread. I do a running stitch and add a back stitch every few stitches. I have only worked with 4" and 5" blocks though so I cannot tell you what would be best for smaller pieces.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I am actually taking vacation next week and we are going 'camping' for 4 days (yeah right - a 29 ft trailer does not mean real camping - RVing perhaps?) and I want to bring some handwork with me (I don't want to lug the machine for just 4 days....) - I want to start a Celtic Illusions quilt and since you can do a corner square technique for these, I thought this would be perfect for hand sewing the blocks when I get tired of reading or actually have to talk to someone (hahaha). The question is what type of stitch works best for hand piecing? Is a running stitch strong enough or should I use a backstitch? Also - what kind of thread - quilt thread or regular?
I sometimes hand piece with Aurifil (cotton) or, more likely, with Bottom Line (very very thin poly). You don't need quilting thread to hand piece.
Any good thread 50wt or 60wt would be fine.
I usually begin and end with a knot; some friends begin and end with several back stitches. I just feel safer with small knots.
I do a running stitch and if it's a long piece, a few backstitches too.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 AM

I've hand pieced two quilts. I do the same as Gramma Nan - 50 weight thread, and a running stitch, with the occasional back stitch.

It's a very pleasant way to sew - and I usually don't have to unsew, like I do when I use the sewing machine. :)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I'm on my third, but I do mine the English paper piecing way, with the seam allowances tacked into place over the paper, then two patches are placed right sides together and whip stitched along the very edge.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

visit Jinny Beyer's web site, she is the queen of hand piecing huge wonderful quilts and she offers great tips and tutorials to help you along the way. i love hand piecing, it is so much more precise than using the machine,and you will be amazed how quickly it can go after you get the hang of it. i make lots of machine peiced quilts each year but am always working on a new hand one...usually get 2 or 3 small ones and one big one done each year, of course that varies depending on just what i'm doing, but i am always working on something (or a dozen somethings :) )
Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I'm on my third, but I do mine the English paper piecing way, with the seam allowances tacked into place over the paper, then two patches are placed right sides together and whip stitched along the very edge.
Could you possibly do a visual tute on this? I am having a hard time seeing it and the part about whipstitching is confusing to me. If you are whipping over the edge and close to the edge, woudn't the seam allowances be wrong and lead to raveling? See why I need a visual?? I've never done any hand piecing before.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Could you possibly do a visual tute on this? I am having a hard time seeing it and the part about whipstitching is confusing to me. If you are whipping over the edge and close to the edge, woudn't the seam allowances be wrong and lead to raveling? See why I need a visual?? I've never done any hand piecing before.
http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...r-piecing.html
Clem55. try this tute. its a pretty good one. There are many tutes if you google English Paper Piecing.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 AM

I am handpiecing a quilt right now! I took 1 1/2" squares with me on our last camping trip and just started sewing! I never thought of the "weight" of the thread...just using regular sewing thread...after all, if it holds up to the stress of clothing, then it'll withstand the quilt's usage.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I am handpiecing a quilt right now! I took 1 1/2" squares with me on our last camping trip and just started sewing! I never thought of the "weight" of the thread...just using regular sewing thread...after all, if it holds up to the stress of clothing, then it'll withstand the quilt's usage.
Thats true - this is starting to sound like fun! I did look up Jinny Beyer and also some other sites that gave out techniques for hand piecing so I am starting to get some ideas!