Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone heard of JOY's / YAMATA sewing machines >

Has anyone heard of JOY's / YAMATA sewing machines

Has anyone heard of JOY's / YAMATA sewing machines

Old 07-22-2008, 01:18 AM

Hi Everyone, I have found an online store who only sell this brand of sewing machine, have not heard of them before or seen them anywhere else.

http://www.joyssewingmachines.co.uk/html/frameset_domestic.html

Have you guys in the US heard of them, or does anyone have one of these machines?

Their site claims that they are "the most popular selling sewing machine in the United States of America"

I am planning on buying a machine, looking for a decent machine for a beginner quilter who doesn't have much cash. The prices on this site are good, but have never heard of the brand.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:32 AM

I've never heard of them. Sorry......
Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 AM

Hmm, I have just answered my own question after finding a thread about them on ebay. General consensus seems to be that they are cheap, chinese made rubbish. I will stick to my gut feelings and spend that bit more for a well know brand!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 AM

Hmmm, I wonder what the ACTUAL best selling sewing machine in the USA is? Maybe they would like to know what Joy's are claiming?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:51 AM

Over $50 for a walking foot????

I've never even seen that brand before. Maybe they make generics for someone else. I'd be extremely hesitant to buy one sight unseen. I have the feeling if you asked about local dealers, you'd get a whole lot of runaround.

My vote for most popular in US is probably Singer, although the quality is not there anymore. My rating is based solely on the fact nearly everyone has owned one or more Singers. Based on sheer number of machines sold, it probably leads also, since every WalMart carries a Singer.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 AM

I was going to say the same thing Moonpi...followed by Kenmore sold mainly by Sears.
The bigger/more expensive ones such as Pfaff and Janome, DO sell smaller machines for a less price, but you don't get all the new fangled stuff that goes with it.
I was lucky when I bought my Kenmore Ergo3. It's a sewing AND embroidery machine. Came with the cds so I can make my own designs, but can't find the stupid cd's. I'm thinking the packers stole them since they WERE in my sewing room in a binder with all the other stuff, but everything BUT the cds came out. It also came with a rebate that included ALL the extra feet and case with it. Something like 50 of them. I paid $1500 on sale for it and they can be bought for about $1000 or less on Ebay.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 AM

If you are looking for a good machine I would suggest one that is used from a good dealer. They are all gone thru and should work well. I suggest an older one like this one. They are all metal, not the plastic that so many of the inexpensive ones have today. Here is a picture of one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenmore-Sewing-Machine-Model-158-15251_W0QQitemZ330254149384QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m330254149384&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318
I would consider a Kenmore or a White from this era.

Debbie

Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 AM

I did some research on sewing machines when I got my New Home Treadle. I Have a Kenmore Model 386. 18836. It has 36 stitches, Botton hole stitch on the machine also. Anyway I found out That a kenmore is made by Janome for Sears. This machine has never given me any trouble. Only when I do something with the settings and forget to put them back. I got it for Christmas 1999.
My sister has a Bernina,Spell Wrong maybe, She has given over $100.00 for a walking foot and a lot for other feet she has bought for it. It doesn't sew any better than my Kenmore. Whose walking foot was about $20.00 if I remember correctly. Soooooooo I guess it is just what floats your boat.
I do love my Kenmore, Will probably never get rid of it even if I decided to get a new one.

Bill'sBonBon
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Be careful of pricing from UK. They print pounds sometimes rather than US Dollars. Shipping could be an issue, then customs.

Try going to allbrands.com first.
I have purchased great computerized machines from them for years.

I have two janome's, one janome serger, and this week I just purchased an Oliso stainless steel iron, free shipping for $94.

I have never been disappointed, in fact, I have saved thosands.

I also purchased a new home computerized machine for my daughter.. retail $999, for $399.
Tell me what you think of their site and products...you will have a wide choice of machines. You can shop by brand, price, computerized etc. they have lots of other appliances too.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM

I forgot to tell you....I could not buy the Janome 6600 from my favorite place, Allbrands.com becuase it is the newest quilting machine, they can only sell it at their physical location in Louisiana...you will notice several of the newest machines can only be purchased at their store. (the manufacturers make them do that)

So what I did was I caledl them, got their lowest price. took off the sales tax and went to my store and asked them if they would match it.

They did. I saved $400. So I bought more attachments...Ha.
I love this machine....don't have to use a walking foot...it has "accufeed" This is great. If you are looking to spend $1200-1600 this is the best quilting home machine I have seen. Compare on-line.....