Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone installed track lighting over their LA or other machines? >

Has anyone installed track lighting over their LA or other machines?

Has anyone installed track lighting over their LA or other machines?

Old 05-18-2014, 04:27 AM

Default Has anyone installed track lighting over their LA or other machines?

Although my space is bright during the day with 2 pretty large windows, it is a bugger at night when I actually have time to sew. I have an OTT light for over my DSM, but my mid-arm is very dim. DH wants to put in track lighting, but I'm hesitant. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2014, 04:33 AM

It should work provided you put on enough lamps. My DH put long florescent lights over mine and it gives lots of light, don't look the greatest but it sure works. I have 3 lights across about 3/4 of my long room.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Just be careful in selecting the bulbs that don't emit excessive heat. You don't want to be working under a HOT "sun" while quilting.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 AM

I hung "shop" lights in my sewing room. They were inexpensive and provided great lighting. I hung three: 1 over my cutting area, 1 over my ironing area and 1 over my sewing area. They have flourescent bulbs. The disadvantage is that they are not hard wired to the electricity so there is a cord hanging down to the plug. However, I was able to conceal the cords for the most part behind furniture and/or quilts. In my longarm room, my husband hardwired a much more attractive light right above my machine. It, too, is flourescent and works great!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 AM

I have two led gooseneck lights attached to the top of my midarm, one for each side of the needle. I also have two CFL lamps at each end of the frame as well. Track lighting above would be nice, but I'd probably still want the smaller lights on either side of the needle. I need lots of light.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I have track lighting over my machine. I have these type of fixtures:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...10WH/202051611
I have a 10' frame & 6 lights, and it's good, but I think it may have been better if I chose pendant fixtures to get them closer to the frame. The up side is that you can add/remove fixtures & move them easily. Overall, I'm very pleased.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I have track lighting with wonderful new bright, daylight LED bulbs- purchased the track lights and bulbs at Home Depot and they are wonderful! so bright, my room has no shadows, is bright with a nice clear light and with the bulbs being LED's they only use pennies a day in electricity. and they are not hot. I love my new lighting!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 AM

I have track lighting over my DM. One thing I have found is that you don't want it directly overhead, it should be just slightly forward. You can adjust the lights where you want it and because it comes from in front of you, shadows are less likely to form. Like others have said be careful of the heat they can produce, fine in the winter but a bugger in the summer! Just my thoughts on the subject.
kathyd
Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Default track lighting

my dh put in track lighting and with the new "Cool" bulbs it throws no heat. We bought the "daylight" bulbs and it is just wonderful!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Some of my friends have installed the track lighting and love it. It wouldn't work so well in my 'studio' ... darn it.

One of my friends also put in a long cheap mirror under her machine so she can see the back of her quilts. I think she had her hubby give it a slight tilt when he installed it.