Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a design wall from a roll up window shade? >

Has anyone made a design wall from a roll up window shade?

Has anyone made a design wall from a roll up window shade?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Question Has anyone made a design wall from a roll up window shade?

This is my plan. I have a shelf that has a place underneath to mount the roller. I am just not sure if I should glue flannel to the existing shade or remove the shade and replace it with flannel or a flannel backed tablecloth. Has anyone made one with a shade? I already have the shade and it has regular shade fabric on it.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM

There is a company that makes a window shade like design wall. I'm guessing the "shade" is flannel backed with plastic to give strength and stability.
http://www.design-a-way.com
Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 AM

I've seen the ready made ones but they're way out of my price range. I already had a similar shelf unit so that's why I opted to make one. I'm going to install the shade today if possible but I need to replace or cover the plasticky shade.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...de-t77404.html
Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM

thanks. i think I might try removing the shade altogether and replace it with a tablecloth cut to size. I'm afraid putting flannel on the existing shade will cause it to be too thick when it's rolled up.

At any rate the lady at home depot didn't cut my shade the right size so I have to have it recut. Argh. I told her the size I needed but she didn't know how much clearance is required. No one in the entire store did. How do stores like that stay in business?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Post pics when done !!!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I would think that with that shade it should be simple to spray glue flannel onto it a little at a time so you could smooth it out a you go making sure the roll is covered. I would not want to take the shade apart if you don't have to. My design wall is portable because of need but I can put it up on my curtain rod. I just attach skirt hangers to it. Actually, I have a few so I can fold them and put them away.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM

I'll probably try that first. I would only need to put flannel on about the bottom 4' (or 44". lol) of it since it wouldn't go down any more than that (it's above my ironing board). If for some reason that causes problems I can always take the fabric off later and replace it. Now I need to get some flannel. I'll have to look for the gridded kind.

eta: I found 57" wide flannel which will be plenty

Last edited by gale; 01-30-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Mine is a window shade for patio doors and we glued flannel to the shade with no problems. It does get bulky.We placed the shade on a board with spacers to raise the shade holder out away from the board. I love it. I can roll it up when not in use. Cost me less than $75.00 for the whole thing.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Well I did it. I got the gridded flannel and glued it to the shade (didn't want to use spray in the house so I used brush-on fabric glue) and mounted the shade in my shelf. I think it will work out fine but when I pull the shade down I'm scared to death the whole roll is going to come crashing down. I'll take pictures tomorrow-I still don't have light in my room.