Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone made a QAYG T-Shirt Quilt?

Has anyone made a QAYG T-Shirt Quilt?

I will be making my DH a t-shirt quilt in the near future and he wants it big enough to fit the king size bed. I cannot quilt one that big on my machine and I cannot afford to send it out to a LA so has anyone made the quilt as a Quilt as you go project and if so, was it easy?

Thank you,
    Pat

sure-
    there are tons of videos & tutorials on quilt as you go techniques- do a little searching and choose the one that will work best for your project-
    you can quilt it one block at a time- in strips/rows, or in any other segments that work for you- some people divide their quilt into 3 or 4 pieces quilt them then join them-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thank you for the info!

The easiest way to accomplish this is to make it a rag quilt. I evened each tee shirt block with flannel strips to make a uniform sized block. Make sure the block size has at least a 1/2 inch seam allowance all around. Back it with flannel, quilt each block and then sew together.
    Arlene

Quote Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
    The easiest way to accomplish this is to make it a rag quilt. I evened each tee shirt block with flannel strips to make a uniform sized block. Make sure the block size has at least a 1/2 inch seam allowance all around. Back it with flannel, quilt each block and then sew together.
    Just what I was looking for, but wasn't sure it would work. Question though -Tips on fusible-Some squares will have fabric added to make them even size, but for the ones that don't, can fusible go the edge and be in the seam that gets "ragged"
    I was going to use cotton for the back and to square the T shirts, will that work or do I need to use flannel on back?
    I've seen the X type quilt, is that the best to use on Tshirt rag?
    Any other tips are appreciated.
    MIMI
    New Castle, DE