Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a rectangluar fabric box? >

Has anyone made a rectangluar fabric box?

Has anyone made a rectangluar fabric box?

Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Default Has anyone made a rectangluar fabric box?

I thought I had already posted this, but did a search can't find it. Forgetting seems to be a part of getting old. So, sorry if this is a repeat! But, has anyone made a rectanglular fabric box? Do you make them the same as the square ones?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I couldn't see why not, just make it a rectangle to start with
Old 12-21-2013, 11:19 AM

I haven't, but I want to. It should work the same way. my problem is that I keep seeing the same tutorial (with triangular sides folded down, but that's not what I want to make.

I'm thinking of making a pattern for the size box I want in heavy pellon, cut fabric a little larger (enough for seams), do same for inside. Sew the pellon to one side of fabric (outside or inside --I don't want iron on because it crinkles after washing). Make the other side, sew them together like a pillow, leaving one side open to turn, and then ladder stitch that shut. Then tack corners of inside to the outside of the box.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 PM

I just had a thought, and that would be a nice thing for the back of the toilet.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM

I made one but it didn't turn out the way I'd like. The points from each corner end up irregular since two sides are longer than the other two. The long 'points' (or flaps) are offset rather than centered. I modified it to be usable with a 'handle' added and a 2-button closure on the offset points/flaps. It was pretty fabric and was given as a gift to a friend. However, it didn't turn out as I'd hoped. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture.
Adding double-wide/double-sided bias tape or binding after 'cutting down' the points to become horizontal edges would be a way to make a rectangular 'box'.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Ah! My way of thinking is that anything made with a fabulous fabric always looks nice! I was thinking of something that a loaf of bread might snuggle into. I can see that it's doable, but maybe a few fixes. Will have to give it a try.