Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made something and not know if you like it? >

Has anyone made something and not know if you like it?

Has anyone made something and not know if you like it?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:16 AM

Question Has anyone made something and not know if you like it?

Good morning,

I am assembling a grocery bag holder and I am not sure if I like the colors I chose. Has anyone ever made something and didn't love it but didn't hate it. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 AM

I finished a quilt top a couple of months ago that I didn't like enough to have it quilted. I packed it up with it's backing fabric and put it in the top of the closet. I'm not sure if I'll ever get it down.

bkay
Old 06-23-2017, 06:42 AM

I think I'm usually pretty decided on whether I'm liking something or disliking it. Maybe ask yourself specific questions about this one, to try and pinpoint what's bothering you.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:45 AM

Oh yeah. I have a quilt (top) I've dubbed "the ugly quilt". It started with a layer cake in a fabric line I really liked, but I picked a bleh solid to go with it. The solid matches some of the layer cake fabric perfectly but it was just the wrong choice and now that it's all put together I don't like it at all. Some day I'll finish it into a quilt and start showing it to people - someone will love it. It's not truly terrible, just not to my taste, at all. It's grown on me a little bit, but not enough to make me want to finish it for myself.

Found a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails sewing_room_27.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 06:50 AM

I'm sure many charities would be very glad to have them. And/ or many groups will be glad to finish them. I think we all have something like that! Sonoma, I kinda like yours!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 AM

Yes, as quilters we all have these ugly ducklings hanging around. Best thing to do, sandwich them, quilt or tie them and donate them. Someone will be thrilled to have your rejects.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 AM

Sewnoma, that would make a great kids quilt or picnic quilt. Finish it and then relish that feel good feeling.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:58 AM

Sewnoma, why don't you use yellow or bright green thread to tone down the gray. I agree, it would make a great picnic quilt or child's quilt.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 AM

all of the time Alot of times I put them away and after time I pull them back out and they don't seem so bad. I do always try to finish them even I don't like them. There is no accounting for taste and more often than not something I don't like someone else will. So I donate what I don't want to gift to someone or keep for myself.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Oh yeah. I have a quilt (top) I've dubbed "the ugly quilt". It started with a layer cake in a fabric line I really liked, but I picked a bleh solid to go with it. The solid matches some of the layer cake fabric perfectly but it was just the wrong choice and now that it's all put together I don't like it at all. Some day I'll finish it into a quilt and start showing it to people - someone will love it. It's not truly terrible, just not to my taste, at all. It's grown on me a little bit, but not enough to make me want to finish it for myself.

Found a picture of it.
I think you should finish this - it will look great with some red or blue binding or even scrappy binding. it will be a great kids quilt