Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a spiral mandala quilt like RaNae Merrill? >

Has anyone made a spiral mandala quilt like RaNae Merrill?

Has anyone made a spiral mandala quilt like RaNae Merrill?

Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509400[/ATTACH]Maybe this is it. This is it. It took me a long time, but It went better after I played around with it first.
Attached Thumbnails wp_000045.jpg  

Last edited by Mollie'sMom; 02-09-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 AM

I bought her book because I wanted to learn to make my own design ( I have not done that yet), but she gives great instruction on how.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 AM

I went to a demo of hers, bought the book and spent hours in my paint program designing segments (1/8 of a circle) You can "fill" the little pathways that you make with color. Then printing one way and flipping the other. Join the flipped segments to get a full circle. I don't seem to make any pleasing designs so haven't started a quilt, but I love the challenge. She is working on a new book right now so am excited to see it.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 AM

Mollie'sMom, your quilt turned out beautiful. I think you may have inspired some of us to give this a try. I've always admired her designs but they scare me.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 AM

Thank you Pam S. It was easy once I got it into my head how to piece it together to get the swirls and curves. This quilt is divided into 12 sections and each of those into two sections. One of the two sections would take me at least 8 hours, because there are about 50 tiny pieces in the one piece. So about 100 pieces to paper piece per 1/12 of the design. All total I probably spent about 400 hours on it. If I have enough time left in my life I may do another one.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 AM

I have quilted a lot of years but I would never tackle that pattern. I'm afraid my patience would run thin to say the least. It is gorgeous though. Good luck with it & keep us posted on your progress
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509400[/ATTACH]Maybe this is it. This is it. It took me a long time, but It went better after I played around with it first.
Wow!!!!! Great job. You have made me more determined to give this a go. Now just to draw that perfect 45 degree triangle
Old 02-09-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer View Post
I went to a demo of hers, bought the book and spent hours in my paint program designing segments (1/8 of a circle) You can "fill" the little pathways that you make with color. Then printing one way and flipping the other. Join the flipped segments to get a full circle. I don't seem to make any pleasing designs so haven't started a quilt, but I love the challenge. She is working on a new book right now so am excited to see it.
I tried drawing it freehand, maybe the computer might work better, then scale it up ?

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I really appreciate it
Old 03-18-2015, 04:43 AM

A CD comes with the book. I chose the size of the pattern I wanted and printed it off on vellum (sp) Then I just started paper piecing. The printed vellum pattern has the color printed in the prescribed area. I changed it to the color of my choice. Since I have done this quilt, I better understand the process and it would be easier to create one of my own. Don't be intimidated by the looks. Go ahead and buy one of her books, read it through and print off a section and try it. It is really easier than it looks. It will take a while to do, but I love the results. The book is Magnificent Spiral Mandala Quilts by RaNae Merrill. There are 6 design in the book to play with.