Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made the Starry Night Wall Hanging? >

Has anyone made the Starry Night Wall Hanging?

Has anyone made the Starry Night Wall Hanging?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Default Has anyone made the Starry Night Wall Hanging?

I ordered the panel and lights but it didn't come with instructions. Did you back it first and then "poke" the lights through the 3 layers? I would think that the light box switch has to be on the outside of the backing fabric but then all the wiring, etc. would also be showing.

Or, am I thinking totally wrong on this. If anyone has made one can you tell me how you did yours please.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with that name but I have seen the Christmas tree panel with battery lights on it. The panel was sandwiched and quilted and Bernina has a little round buttonhole stitch(for drawstrings waistlines) that they used on the quilt sandwich. After sewing the little circles, a little slit was cut for the light to go through. The battery pack was just pinned to the back but you could sew a little pocket for it on the back. I don't know if this applies to your panel.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 PM

Thank you Tartan. I thought it would have to be on the outside of the finished sandwich. Sewing a pocket is a good idea.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 PM

The pattern is called All That Glitters and uses Starry Night fabric by Northcott. The panels are printed so close together that there isnt even 1/4" on the sides for piecing. Causes the top and bottom medallions to get chopped off. Northcott really messed this up. Here is where you can get the complete pattern.

http://www.ruthsstitchery.com/ShopOn...l?catId=191105 or
http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...glitters/58627

Pictures are deceiving because of inadequate seam allowance.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the info on the pattern snipforfun. Doesn't sound like this is going to be much fun though.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by raksmum View Post
Thanks for the info on the pattern snipforfun. Doesn't sound like this is going to be much fun though.
I wont fool with lights but rather will use crystals - if I ever finish it - next year. Changed the star blocks to paper piecing. The pattern for the block is too time consuming. If you use the pattern and doesnt seem right, get in touch with the designer for an updated version
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by raksmum View Post
I ordered the panel and lights but it didn't come with instructions. Did you back it first and then "poke" the lights through the 3 layers? I would think that the light box switch has to be on the outside of the backing fabric but then all the wiring, etc. would also be showing.

Or, am I thinking totally wrong on this. If anyone has made one can you tell me how you did yours please.

Thanks for any advice!
Raksmum, I made this Starry Night wall quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449692[/ATTACH]

Different and simpler than the All that Glitters pattern, obviously. If these directions would help you, just PM me.

Daffy
Attached Thumbnails lauriesstarrynight.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
Raksmum, I made this Starry Night wall quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449692[/ATTACH]

Different and simpler than the All that Glitters pattern, obviously. If these directions would help you, just PM me.

Daffy
This is a panel that has the top and bottom borders cut off. Some stores including one in my town sold the panel without the wonky borders. Another store put a kit together with fabric for the All That Glitters pattern. Not so great because of the borders. If I had it to do over again, I would chop off the borders and proceed with binding.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Here is a youtube video from Missouri Star Quilt Company doing this wall hanging http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1KyuKQWqTU
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
The pattern is called All That Glitters and uses Starry Night fabric by Northcott. The panels are printed so close together that there isnt even 1/4" on the sides for piecing. Causes the top and bottom medallions to get chopped off. Northcott really messed this up. Here is where you can get the complete pattern.

http://www.ruthsstitchery.com/ShopOn...l?catId=191105 or
http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...glitters/58627

Pictures are deceiving because of inadequate seam allowance.
Don't know what I've done with the green borders, but here is a photo of the borders from the red Starry Night I'm working on now that shows what snipforfun refers to. There's very little fabric outside the medallion at each end of the borders. For a wall quilt that won't see hard use or frequent laundering, however, I think a 1/8" seam allowance would be adequate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449737[/ATTACH]

Daffy
Attached Thumbnails redmedallions.jpg