Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made these quilted christmas trees? >

Has anyone made these quilted christmas trees?

Has anyone made these quilted christmas trees?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 AM

It is cute but looks like it would take a ton of fabric. At a guild meeting last year, someone demonstrated the folded fabric ornament (ball) and I was amazed by how much fabric they take.

Cheers, K
Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dottie dodge View Post
I think this tree is made like the folded ornaments......you cut squares of fabric, fold to make a point and pin to the styrofoam tree. It is a darling tree! Will probably use 500 or more pins.
Exactly-I did one like this last year! Start at the bottom and work your way up! Looks great!!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Bet you could "appliqué" prairie points in shape of tree on a background and make an interesting 3-D (well maybe 2and1/2 D) wall hanging!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
Bet you could "appliqué" prairie points in shape of tree on a background and make an interesting 3-D (well maybe 2and1/2 D) wall hanging!
What a great idea!. The balls and pinecone ornaments were very popular in the late 90s. I made several pinecones. (Wish I still had some of that fabric) The ladies who mentioned the folded squares and the appliqué pins are right on target. We used 3' squares to form the points, but I'd imagine this would depend on the size of the piece of styrofoam. Oddly enough, I just found a half-finished pinecone, pulled it out of my rug hooking bin, and here I thought I was so organized.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 PM

I made about 100 of the Styrofoam balls this year for Christmas. Putting all those pins in was hard on the finger tips but everyone loved them. The tree is done the same way. You can do it with Easter eggs as well. I don't remember what it was called but I found some balls similar to the Styrofoam balls and they were much easier to push pins in and didn't make that horrible sound when you pushed in the pins.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:53 AM

yes dottie right. the amount of squares will be dependant on your styrofom tree size. overlap each folded square row on top of each other, covering the Styrofoam.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:13 AM

That tree is beautiful. I would say it is made with the same method as the pinecone ornaments. I made a couple of those last year. They are not difficult and they are really cute. I found a tutorial on YouTube for mine. I think this was the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-AKWkqw7A
I bought a couple of FQs to make mine as I didn't have any fabric that looked like pine cones.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Oh that's really pretty!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:42 AM

Am I a Scrooge or what? But $10 for the pattern and I still have to print out the 45 pages using my printer and ink?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:19 AM

Default Christmas trees

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I am thinking of buying the pattern and was wondering if any of you had made these?
http://www.theornamentgirl.indiemade...ric-tree?tid=3
They are made from prairie points but, they are pinned with small straight pins, not glued. Tip, use a glue dot on your finger, it gets mightly sore after a few trees.