Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten? >

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM

Considering that $12 - $15 is the same price as a movie ticket, but I get more enjoyment for a longer period of time, I'm willing to pay. Everything is subjective.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

Everything is subjective.
So right. My friend just bought a brand new Bernina 820 with all the bells and whistles and a brand new Bernina 350 Special Edidtion for portability. She complains all the time about how bad her teeth are and they look horrible, makes her look years older, but no way is she spending what the dentist says her dental work will cost, that is just outrageous to her to spend that much on teeth. I can't muster any sympathy for her when she moans about her teeth.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 AM

$12-15 to see dozens - and often hundreds - of amazing quilts? The inspiration is worth every single penny to me. I'd pay a lot more for the bigger shows to see the beautiful quilts from around the world!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My quilting group has a quilt show every year. It's small and casual but the expense is still there and we have all volunteer workers. I can imagine the cost of a building fee including clean up and insurance, security, first aid and for big shows medical personnel on site. Lots expenses that has to be paid for and a profit has to be made, a big show isn't held for the good of the quilters. If you have bought concert, sport, or theater tickets lately then a quilt show is pennies compared to them.

I checked and the last sports event DH went to cost about $150 including ticket, parking, not including what he ate and drank during the game.
yep. Anyone eat out? Life is not cheap. $12.00 is not "making a profit". It covers (hopefully) the expenses of putting on the show. Pack a lunch and go have fun!
sandy
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
So right. My friend just bought a brand new Bernina 820 with all the bells and whistles and a brand new Bernina 350 Special Edidtion for portability. She complains all the time about how bad her teeth are and they look horrible, makes her look years older, but no way is she spending what the dentist says her dental work will cost, that is just outrageous to her to spend that much on teeth. I can't muster any sympathy for her when she moans about her teeth.
Not to mention the future health issues that bad oral health will reek. No one likes to pay for dental health BUT i gladly do it because of the ramifications of not doing it. Not to mention how it looks, etc. Worth every penny! You have to look at me!

sandy
Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 AM

We have the same difficulty here. With $14 - $18 entry and $13 - $17 parking on average. There is no good public transport from where I live, so there is the fuel cost to add - $50 return to the main show and if I go to that one it will be $35 parking...Seems to me that with the food costs as well, all of the money is going to the "wrong" people and not supporting any craft so I will go to the local shop for what I want.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 AM

I do go to many local shows (low admission, usually free parking) and they are great! I guess I was "complaining" about the large national or regional shows...I've also noticed that the class prices at some larger shows have stayed pretty consistent over the last few years, but as CanoePam mentioned, some shows now have an additional fee ($20-$30) for class registration. I understand that the shows need to make a profit. Because of the high cost of fuel, parking, etc., I've had to limit myself to one major show per year. This year it will be "A Quilter's Gathering" held in November in Manchester, NH.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 AM

Our guild sponsors a yearly quilt show. NO charge. We do put out a donations jar and whatever we get goes to the rental of the facility and the rest is made up by the guild. There is a boutique that helps support our guild during the coming year. Some years, depending on the size an layout of the facility we offer free demonstrations on different aspects of quilting. It is sort of our gift to the community for their support.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 AM

I don't mind paying for local shows. I know they don't make a huge amount of $. I have however, learned to be very skeptical of price for some "national" teachers. Paid for a couple last year, including BH and all we got was a glorified trunk show. Even some of the teachers at Nancy's Notion Expo in Beaver Dam, Wisc have fallen into that mode.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:32 AM

You have a great hubby! Have you heard anything about the Columbus show? Our guild didn't attend this year because only 7 vendors were listed.
Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Okay....sigh...when I told the hubby that I wasn't sure about going to the quilt show in Columbus this year. He solemnly looked at me, added up the gasoline cost, the parking cost, the admission fee, the time to drive to/from, the of lunch for two and quietly handed me $75.00, smiled and told me to go shopping at the local quilt store which was having a great sale at 50% off and buy all the material I could for the money. So....I did. We will go next year if possible.