Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Has anyone noticed

  1. #1
    Super Member Quilt4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    9,038
    Blog Entries
    1
    Has anyone noticed that alot of on line quilt shopes are closing down for good? In the last week I have got 4 shop letters saying thewy are closing.

  2. #2
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,703
    quilting has become an expensive hobby and more people have had to go back to work. so there are fewer up-coming quilters than there used to be and the OLQS are suffering like everyone else.

    it is a pity, though. just when things were really rolling.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    465
    I haven't noticed them closing but I have noticed the ones that I visit now have either free shipping or reduced how much you need to spend to get free shipping.

  4. #4
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,703
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    quilting has become an expensive hobby and more people have had to go back to work. so there are fewer up-coming quilters than there used to be and the OLQS are suffering like everyone else.

    it is a pity, though. just when things were really rolling.
    first of all, i apologize in advance. i didn't mean to imply that stay-at-home-moms weren't working. i meant to say that they were working for no money for the value of their time and effort. when times get hard, often they are the ones that must go back to out-of-home jobs for the income they provide.
    that leaves little or no time for hobbies. and the same reason that sends them back into the workplace also prevents them from spending the money that hobbies cost.

    so, i am sympathetic and i do understand and please don't be insulted by what i said. i'm very sorry if i stepped on anyone's toes.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    I think it is an ever changing marketplace. This is a very challenging time, businesswise. There is less money to spend on hobbies, than usual, and as a result, those companies and shops that were just coasting along on the wave of interest in quilting, and sewing, are the first to fall by the wayside, when the belt gets tightened. I think it would be very hard to make it on a discretionary spending business model these days. What I will be interested to see, is how Bernina, with their new Series 8 machines, do. The thought of introducing a $11,000 sewing machine into this business whirlwind, takes a real leap of faith. I know that it took them a long time to develop this machine but I bet they were saying, "What were we thinking" when this thing hit the fan. Sure there will always be some folks who will spend whatever it takes to satisfy their needs to have fun with their hobby. But it is just that , a hobby. And I think that those people who might have bought those type of machine just got a lot fewer. The sad part is that we will all suffer with the shrinking of the marketplace.

    John

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,089
    I think we are just seeing a "correction" after 5 or 10 "boom" years. Many people and businesses overextended themselves for too long, and now things are going back to what the market can truly bear.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    17
    Agreed. But the market for garment sewing has diminished with the advent of cheap WalMart Clothes. And it is not taught in school to the same degree that it once was. The one bright spot, and the thing that kept the sewing machine companies alive, is quilting. Or at least it has been. I was just at my local quilt fabric store, and they have said their business has definitely fallen off. I don't think they are in any danger, but If they go under I will have to travel a long way to get any fabric. Not a good thought to ponder.

    John

  8. #8
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,561
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    quilting has become an expensive hobby and more people have had to go back to work. so there are fewer up-coming quilters than there used to be and the OLQS are suffering like everyone else.

    it is a pity, though. just when things were really rolling.
    first of all, i apologize in advance. i didn't mean to imply that stay-at-home-moms weren't working. i meant to say that they were working for no money for the value of their time and effort. when times get hard, often they are the ones that must go back to out-of-home jobs for the income they provide.
    that leaves little or no time for hobbies. and the same reason that sends them back into the workplace also prevents them from spending the money that hobbies cost.

    so, i am sympathetic and i do understand and please don't be insulted by what i said. i'm very sorry if i stepped on anyone's toes.
    I do not think you stepped on any toes or insulted anyone. I read your comments just the way you intended them to be read and I think others will too. Don't lose any sleep over this one!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    I think we are just seeing a "correction" after 5 or 10 "boom" years. Many people and businesses overextended themselves for too long, and now things are going back to what the market can truly bear.
    i've believed this for quite some time now. wondering when it would all end. i couldn't sleep at night if i spent $11k on a machine for a hobby (let alone more than $28k for a vehicle to transport me). but i've never really been extravagant, pretty much just bare bones. i guess we're seeing that it's a 'thank goodness' that more people aren't/haven't been like me!

    but then again you still see things like people paying $80 for a Martha Stewart Heart Paper Punch (for scrapbooking) that originally sold for $15 at Michaels.

    things that make you go hmmmmmmm . . . .

  10. #10
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,561
    I have not noticed that any of the internet quilt shops that I frequent have closed or changed their way of doing business. I do know that the economy is tough these days and that a lot of businesses, quilting and otherwise, have had to close their doors. It is a shame, but, luxury items are the first to go and if you are choosing between food for your table and quilt fabric--you are going to pick food. That means those smaller shops are hurting for business and that affects us all. We need to support our LQS whenever possible, or we will have no room to complain when they go out of business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.