Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried this machine?

Has anyone tried this machine?

I need a lightweight machine to take to groups and classes. For $120 I can buy a Singer Brilliance 6199. Has anyone heard or used this machine for quilting. Anyone information you can give would be helpful. Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Blog Entries
    I can't tell you about the Singer but WalMart has Brother machines for around $89. I have two Brothers. No problems and lightweight.
    TwandasMom

Go to Sears and buy a simple Kenmore.... you can't beat them.
    ~~ Pat

Where am I? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Just try before you buy.......Look at your stitch quality, noise, ease of use....A friend of mine was going to buy a little machine without trying it because it had such a great price on it. Fortunately, she did sew on it before buying and discovered it sounded like a freight train, clank, clank, clank, clank...It was awful........She ended up buying a little Kenmore at Sears, payed around $170.00 for it, on sale....It has everything she wanted, decorative stitches, needle up/needle down, ect. and she loves it!
    Have an inspring day!
    Sandi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    I can't tell you about the Singer but WalMart has Brother machines for around $89. I have two Brothers. No problems and lightweight.
    me too. i carry it to the kitchen a lot to sew with the dgk's
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I would try them out first too, see how easily it sews over 4-6 layers of fabric, to make sure it can handle thicker seams
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Janome also has some less expensive models. I have one I use to take to classes and sewing groups. No matter what you get try it out and try it on your fabric not the stuff they use in the stores, that stuff has lots of stablizer in it so it looks good.

Blog Entries
    I personally wouldn't invest any money in a modern Singer - go with Janome. Or check Allbrands or O.com for models that are being discontinued. You might also check with a local dealer to see if they anything that has been traded in. Remember that service is an important part to remember when purchasing a machine and you only get that from a dealer. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I totally agree with scowlkat! I bought a wonderful portable Janome from my most local dealer for $200. It was a $900 machine when new but this machine looked and runs like it's brand new. It is actually my main machine now as I sent my older Janome to the RV for use when traveling. My older machine is 21 years old and I have never had to have either one of them serviced. You couldn't pay me to buy a modern Singer but I do have a 1946 version!!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Doris1334

Quote Originally Posted by My time View Post
    I need a lightweight machine to take to groups and classes. For $120 I can buy a Singer Brilliance 6199. Has anyone heard or used this machine for quilting. Anyone information you can give would be helpful. Thanks for your collective wisdom.
    Try a Kenmore from Sears, resonably priced and has features of more expensive machines.
    It sews quietly, has the up/down needle feature, threader and decorative stitches. We have two
    of the cheap Brothers at our quilting group in Church and no one will sew on them. We bought a
    Kenmore to use and I take one of my Kenmores to use there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast