Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried this? >

Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried this?

Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I use the vinyl table cloths with the checkered pattern on one side and flannel on the other. I attach 2 skirt hangers. I like the tablecloths because it also helps to give indication of the size of the blocks. I like the idea that I can hang it on top edge of shelf. The hooks swivel. I can fold or roll it up and transport it in a tote. Totally portable. Hangers are inexpensive. I can hang it on a curtain rod or closet doors. No pins needed. I have an older Wright's Pattern Cutting Board. I have used that as a design board support. It's 36"X60" and I can attach my hangers/design panel to it for more support. Have had mine for awhile but point is you don't have to spend a lot of money.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

One more thing those command hooks work for any wall and will hold up a certain weight just check the package. only making suggestions. Didn't mean to hijack a post.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 AM

Before I had a dedicated space for a design wall, I'd use blue tape to tape a batting to the wall; if I needed to take it down while I was still using it I'd pin a sheet over all the blocks and then roll it off of the wall and tuck it away. The sheet helps keep the pieces from sticking to the back of the batting or falling off as you unroll. Unroll the whole thing and secure it to the wall again, then unpin the sheet and carefully peel it back.

Works pretty good. Not fantastic, but pretty good. I usually needed DH's help to get it taped up to the wall, someone has to hold it up while all the tape is being applied. Thumbtacks would have been much easier but I was using a very visible wall so I didn't want to fill it with holes!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 AM

No pinning needed for Fons and Porter design wall.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 AM

On most flannel ( doesn't matter the configuration) unless it is moved, pinning is not necessary. If you want to make your wall portable, pinning is recommended.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I put flannel (with batting in between the cork and the flannel)on an old cork board that was given to me ( its huge!). Its portable as my hubs put wheels on it (it has a special stand). But the window shade is a great idea for small spaces .. Thanks for sharing the both of you !
Old 02-10-2015, 06:15 AM

I use two of the flannel backed tablecloths clipped to skirt hangers on hooks on the wall. I have had no trouble with things sticking until it becomes at least a full size flimsy, then a couple pins at the top will help.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Maybe I am missing something but what do you attach the roler shade to don't you need to have a window?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM

You can attach the hardware for the shade wherever you want to hang it.

If you are concerned about hanging it on Sheetrock you can always attach a narrow wood strip to studs and then attach to that.

Last edited by mom-6; 02-10-2015 at 09:56 AM.