Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone used a muslin backing fabric for blocks?

Has anyone used a muslin backing fabric for blocks?

I am getting ready to start my second DGD's 'big girl quilt'. DD picked out the Baby Geniuses Speak Up line of fabric. I had to order it from the US (thank goodness while DH was working in Chicago, so he could be my fabric mule and I did not have to pay the outrageous postage to Canada--but that's another story) Sooooo......I am very disappointed with the quality of the fabric. It is THIN!!! and I KNOW it will shrink like crazy so will absolutely pre-wash and dryer dry.

I am wondering if I could put a layer of pre-washed muslin behind each block, to give them some weight and stability. Has anyone done anything like this and is there anything I should watch out for, take into consideration, or is this just a bad idea completely??

Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. BTW I am still undecided about the block design. Guess I should get cracking on that too.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

When people do reverse appliqué, there are two fabric thick blocks. I don't see a problem. Sorry your fabric is poor quality. What a letdown.

SAME idea here, no problem to do that. I use muslin a lot to back my quilts. I like it. could use a fusible stabilizer oh back either. washable kind not tear away.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles & tears,colored with memories and bound by LOVE.....................
    rb

Thanks! I was so disappointed in the quality of the fabric, especially for the cost. And since my DD picked this line, I am glad there is a relatively easy fix.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I use muslin for foundation piecing instead of paper piecing. I love the stability it provides. You shouldn't have any problem. Good luck.