Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used a silk batting in their quilts... >

Has anyone used a silk batting in their quilts...

Has anyone used a silk batting in their quilts...

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Default Has anyone used a silk batting in their quilts...

Was wondering if any one can give me an first hand opinion on cotton vs wool vs silk for warmth and ease of quilting.......Know when I lived in snow country silk socks kept my feet far warmer than wool....
I now live in Southern California and have no need, but have a friend who lives in Wyoming....and would appreciate the warmth.....So again wool vs silk batting.....and what brand did you like the most as I understand there are several.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE Dream Wool, Dream Orient, and dream bamboo batts. they are a dream to work with, the needle slides through the batting with wonderful ease- hand and machine quilting are wonderful. I live in Northern Michigan and my wool batt quilts and the one with the dream orient (a silk blend) are both nice and warm- fluffy, cozy...dream quilts.
i've also used Hobbs wool batting- it to is a wonderful batt. I've only seen silk, orient & bamboo from the dream company.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Will be watching this - I have been wondering about silk batting also. Thanks for starting
Old 08-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

I haven't used it myself, but a class instructor passed around a lap quilt to show us what silk batting felt like. Wonderful! It was her favorite batting for hand quilting because it is very easy to hand quilt. Other threads have noted that silk batting is even warmer than wool.

If you can afford it, silk batting is the most luxurious, warmest, and easiest to hand quilt. (I don't know about machine quilting silk, but assume it would be fine.) I believe quilting lines need to be fairly close together (2 inches?).

Quilter's Dream wool or Hobbs wool batting would be the second choice -- very easy to quilt by either hand or machine, not quite as warm as silk and heavier than silk, but still extremely nice. Quilting lines can be a little farther apart with these (4 inches?).
Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

I love silk batting. I don't know about being warmer but it makes my machine quilting look so much better.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM

I myself have not used it, but a friend of mine swears by it. It is not as heavy meaning bulk weight, but she says the warmth factor is great. She also likes the loft.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Would love to use it but really pricey.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Try Tuscany silk (a blend) from Hobbs. Also like Tuscany wool from Hobbs, lower loft than quilter's dream wool. I use silk and wool for art pieces, hang nicely and do not wrinkle when folded or rolled during transit to a show.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM

I love Quilter's Dream Orient. Used it in my daughter's quilt who lives in San Jose CA. She says its warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Many of my client's have chosen it over 100% cotton.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 AM

I love Hobbs silk batting. it is easier to use when FMQ, lighter to move around and less to stuff through.
I don't know about it being warmer. But have had a king size quilt with silk batting on our bed on our bed all summer and we have had record heat this year.