Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used the stripstick? >

Has anyone used the stripstick?

Has anyone used the stripstick?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
About a month ago, I went to Lowes and Menards to get some half round to make myself one and neither one of them carries the half round anymore! They offered to special order it for me but there was a minimum pieces to do that and I didn't think I needed 10 pieces of half round!!
Well that would just figure, wouldn't it? LOL

I'll be buying insulation board to make a new design wall soonish, I've added half-round molding to my shipping list so I'll remember to look for it. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:28 PM

One of our guild members had one at retreat last month and, after using it, several of us fell in love with it. I refuse to pay the $$ for it (would rather use that money for fabric), so I had hubby make me one. I'm going to cover it with a thin layer of batting and decorative fabric, but I needed it recently and covered it with a towel long enough to use it.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

Some people use the wood without any covering. I would just test it first to make sure that no unwanted color transfers to the fabric.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:12 AM

I really like mine. I have all three sizes and especially love the long one to get long strata perfectly straight for bargello quilts.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:31 AM

I bought two set sizes and I really like them. I alternate between them and Shapecut.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 AM

I have had the long one for several years and have not remembered to use it yet
Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing the link. I made one of these a long time ago. Had no idea that these were even on market. I had a half-round covered with an old undershirt of DH. Stapled flat side and use it every once in a while. Must have seen it sometime ago in the wayback machine. Thought it was my idea. DH has bunch in shed.
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I love mine, especially for ironing seams open for strip sets. If you can find the half-round molding, it would be easy to make your own. I don't think there is any batting inside; just the half-round wood covered with a muslin sleeve.

Here is a link with video:
http://www.thestripstick.com/
Old 04-19-2014, 06:04 AM

I too saw these advertised and didn't want to pay so much so DH got me the half rounds and I covered them with a piece I cut from a mattress pad I was replacing. We made a small one and a large one and I LOVE them for pressing long seams perfectly straight. I love to take an idea and run with it!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:31 AM

I have these sticks in all available sizes. They are wonderful and easy to use.....I mostly use mine when I have the whole quilts sewn together and need to press row seams, but they work really good in smaller situations as well!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 AM

I have one and use it daily/hourly and some times every minute! no padding just half round and heavy muslin works great! have a ham and clapper and tailor boards also but use them when sewing clothing....the half round is perfect for pressing of the piecing of a quilt top. .... IF.... misplaced I would find it before continuing with project, the true test of the worth of a sewing aid.