Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone worked with this kind of fabric? >

Has anyone worked with this kind of fabric?

Has anyone worked with this kind of fabric?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 AM

Default Has anyone worked with this kind of fabric?

I found some waffle dish towels that had cute children motifs and old quotes on them like "Sunday's child is full of grace", next towel was "Monday's child is fair of face" etc. I would like to make these into a baby quilt with 30's fabrics but because they are waffle fabric now I'm wondering if this will work. Has anyone worked with waffle fabric?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

If it is cotton - and has been washed - and the other fabrics used also washed -
I think it would add an interesting texture to the quilt.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:50 AM

I haven't sewn with this fabric but, I do have dish towels made of it. The waffle fabric shrinks a lot and ripples along the sewn edge. I think it would be wonderful in a quilt but, would suggest not washing first and using a backing that also shrinks like flannel. I think it would be bumpy to quilt after washing which is why I suggested not washing first. I am only going by what my washed dishtowels look like.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 AM

A word of caution to wash these before you start your project! I bought a bunch of this type fabric to make kitchen towels, and I did not prewash. I sewed a binding around the four edges and it looked really cute. But, when they were washed, they drew up something awful and I never could get them straight again. I know there must be better quality waffle fabric than I used. I knew better than to go headlong into that project without thinking it through, but did I listen to my own advice? The baby quilt sounds adorable -- post pictures when you've finished. Betty
Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I agree with washing prior to using. I got some of these towels to machine embroider for gifts, washed them first and the waffle texture really popped up. They were great to use in the kitchen, but I could not embroider them.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:58 AM

I bought a dust ruffle at a yard sale ($1) for the white fabric at the bottom. It was a waffle weave type 100% cotton that was very much like a damask. I used it in a quilt and it added a nice texture. It was very nice to work with. I had prewashed it.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Preshrink , for sure and consider overcasting the edges of the cut pieces prior to construction.... it really ravels. If you don't want to overcast... then use a much wider seam allowance 1/2 inch.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 AM

I would pre-wash and if there is a hem around the towels, I would cut it off. It will just add extra bulk to the blocks. This does sound like a cute idea.