Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happened to you?

I am sitting here taking a break, calming myself.

I was quilting along nicely on the LA, saw the end of the backing and realized there is more top on the pole.

My backing was too short! So I took the entire quilt off and am going to sew a strip on the bottom of the backing and pin the entire quilt back on the poles to finish. Fortunately, I have more of the backing fabric.

I re-measured to see how I could have done this. I had measured the width, not the length.

This is one mistake that will only happen once! I will re-measure everything more than once and look at it!

Thanks for reading my vent.

Jean

Blog Entries
    GRRRRR!! I just did a quilt and I cut the backing wrong twice! Poor math skills on my behalf! Good thing pieced backings are becoming more favorable. . . .

Banned
    Yes, I've been there. Luckily, it was MY quilt and not a customer's. I simply loaded the back wrong. I learned the same lesson --- measure twice and pay better attention to what I'm doing!!

I've gotten as far as pinning the whole thing and realizing I didn't line the sandwich up properly!!!!! Not as bad as having it on the rails.... so I sympathize! smart thinking to buy extra backing!

I only quilt my own quilts. I would be so nervous working on someone else's. I do allow my friends to use my machine, but they are there doing the work.

One time I did a machine embroidery design on a friend's beautiful fleece. Even though I had practiced it, I was not comfortable and said I would never work on other's items again.

Jean

Been there, done that.

Been there done that!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'm so sorry!! Glad you noticed it just before you quilted off the edge! :( :(

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    No b/c I don't have a LA- they scare me LOL
    Sorry for you though!

I just took one out of my Tin Lizzie last week like that. I had sewn leader cloth on the top, so I could quilt clear to the edge, and not taken into account that it would move the top down. Thankfully, mine was only about an inch. I just took it out and trimmed the border around the entire quilt 1/2 inch, then put on wide binding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast