Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has This Ever Happened to You ????

Unhappy Has This Ever Happened to You ????

It all started with a piece of fleece that puckered between two rows of quilting on the back of a snuggie garment. The fleece stretched while turning the fabric to machine quilt and it was only getting worse trying to re-quilt. So I decided to slit the fleece, cut out the extra fabric and fabric glue closed. I purchased the only brand of
    liquid permanent fabric adhesive Joann's carries. It claims to permanently glue fabrics, trims, craft projects and to be fully washable and dryable by machine after waiting 24 hours to dry. I guess I went wrong when I waited
    48 hours before washing because when I opened the washer the glued seams where all open!!! I dried the garment and when completely dry I will have to hand sew the seams closed to fix my "lesson hard learned." DON'T TRY MACHINE QUILTING FLEECE or FIX ANY MISTAKES...
    Andie, the desert rose
    Live simply,Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear you had these issues. I definitely appreciate you sharing this though. It will keep others out of trouble (smile). Thanks for sharing.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry...what a pain.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    what a frustrating experience. thanks for sharing so we don't make the same one.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

i machine quilt fleece all the time
    have never found an adhesive that works well to hold fleece- and is wash/dryable
    since fleece needs to be washed in cold water-and tumble dried on low heat-maybe that is the problem?
    when quilting fleece it is necessary to baste closely- ease the tension- and increase the stitch length...it quilts up beautifully-with some practice
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thank you all for your sympathy...

ckcowl thank you for your suggestions. I did wash in cold water on delicate and I found the problem when the wash cycle stopped, that's what really had me baffled. I had used spray baste to secure the basting because it was so bulky and hard to handle. The tension I decreased but I didn't lengthen the stitches. Do you use a walking foot or open toe quilting foot? I'm a hand quilter by preference but charity quilts request machine quilting so I'm a newbie to machine quilting.
    Andie, the desert rose

Sorry you had this issue. Thanks for sharing with us, so we don't make that mistake also.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Murphy, I would wish anyone this ordeal ever....I hope your weren't the only ones to read this thread because I hoped to keep others from the same problem.
    Andie, the desert rose

I wouldn't want anyone to have this problem ever again!!! Thank you for caring...
    Andie, the desert rose

QuiltnNan, I wouldn't want anyone to have this problem ever again!!! Thank you for caring...
    Andie, the desert rose