Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has this happened to you? >

Has this happened to you?

Has this happened to you?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM

Your photo isn't posting because .... the fabric is sooo bad! Believe me, I brought some of it too! My camera refuses to show it off..... Oddly enough, it made a wonderful donation quilt -- to a charity's silent auction -- evidently others thought it was great ! What's that old saying about lemons?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM

I agree with others. Walk away from it for a while. It will look completely different when you see it again.

I once made a coat for the Sulky Challenge. I worked so hard and spent so many hours on it. When I finished it up, I looked at it and thought "What the heck? It isn't even that pretty. I'm not sending it." I was so tired and depressed that I hung it up and walked away. I didn't even go in my sewing room for 2 days. Then one evening I went in there for something. I turned on the light and it reflected off all the metallic thread on the coat and it looked wonderful. I was so happy that I looked it over, snipped some threads and sent it off the next day. I got 3rd place that year in the wearables division.

I think when you look at them so long, your vision gets distorted as far as this one piece goes and you need some space to see it as others do.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Haven't read all posts but no, I always like my quilts. Most are string and I love variety and bright.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:07 PM

All it takes is for someone to love it! I'm so happy your daughter is happy with your choices. I think it is quite a soft-looking, pretty quilt. No need for regrets of any sort. You done good, Kitty.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 PM

Sure I've done it, usually know why I bought it, because it was good fabric at a very cheap price. The last one I wondered why, I had bought at a thrift store, there was about 9 yards and the price was a whole $ 1, which is why I bought it, but it made a beautiful stack and whack.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 PM

I love simple quilts like this, and the colors/fabrics are great.

Sometimes a quilt needs to find the right 'beholder' to see it's beauty. I have one like that in the 'almost finished' state right now. It's been that way for months!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 AM

Yes, but then I remind myself that beauty (or unattractive/ugly/really awful) is in the eye of the beholder and someone somewhere will just love the quilt! Often if I take the time to analyze why I chose the fabric, I can avoid the same "mistake" another time.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I've thought that too at times, but just finish it up and you'll probably like it after it's all together and quilted. It's better than stopping and having a UFO!
I admit, that mine end up as a UFO. Sometimes I am able to finish it but most of the time I give the UFO to an charity organization.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:58 AM

Yep, I have one of those in the UFO closet right now. I call it my "ugly quilt".

I REALLY hated it while I was making it, but now when I see it in the cabinet I think maybe it's not too bad. I'll get around to finishing it eventually; it was destined to be a picnic blanket anyway so I just need to get it done so I can start using it up!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 AM

Oh my, haven't we all had this happen to us? Last winter I pulled out a UFO that I'd started years earlier. I really didn't like the fabric.... purple is NOT my color ( offense to you purple lovers) but I wanted to get the UFOs done so I worked on it. .... finished it..... showed it to my SIL who raved on it.... to the point that I felt guilty for talking bad about it. It's still not my favorite quilt but I've gotten used to it.... don't know if I'll ever actually use it but I don't hate it now.