Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has there ever been a quilt that you loathe >

Has there ever been a quilt that you loathe

Has there ever been a quilt that you loathe

Old 02-24-2015, 05:14 AM

A kingsize for my daughter I am working on now. It is a nightmare, but I will keep on keeping on. Usually when I dislike a quilt, when it is finished it is worth it. It feels like I will never finish, but I'm stubborn. I will.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:44 AM

I have done several ugly quilts, never intentionally. I finish them, chalk it up to experience, and donate them immediately. At a minimum, they will keep someone warm, and you know, one quilter's trash.......
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 AM

I have one that I've dubbed "the ugly quilt"; it took me a long time to finish it even though it was a simple design. It's just a top at this point, but I think it's starting to grow on me a little bit so I might finish it soon. It'll be a good one to show around and the first person to say, "Ooh, I love that quilt" gets to have it, LOL. I don't really like it, but someone will!

Just like...Peckish, I actually really like that plaid brick quilt! It makes me think of my Dad's flannel shirts and scrappy camping quilts. I imagine it's very soft and warm - someone out there is probably treasuring it right now.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 AM

LOL!! I have a few and that's why I have a bunch of UFOs .........some aren't that bad but I get bored or they take a very long time to get finished and I get tired of working on them. I have string blocks that I think are a mess of strips, a 'mystery' quilt that gives me seizures and projects tucked here and there that I should just put on the 'recycle/free' table at our guild for someone else who might like it.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 AM

BOM sampler with ugly fabric. Donated the top to a friend's quilt guild!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 AM

We are have remorse over a few quilts we have made. I think it helps to laugh about them. Our guild is having an ugly program coming up this summer. Everyone is to bring an ugly quilt they have made for show and tell. Quilts can be ugly for different reasons. I think it helps to get them "out of the closet", so that we can "release" them from our psyche.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 AM

Yes. I hate the the mystery quilt Grand Illusion. I'm quilting it right now and will give it my neice hoping she will like it. I love the colors but think the pattern is a mess. My husband has liked all my quilts but about this one, he said "well, if you stand back, you can see the pattern." I wish I would have given myself permission not to finish it. One LQS owner said she made the units, doesn't like the quilt, so don't know if she will finish it.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 AM

I have one that I finished, quilted by check, and put on my new bed. It was supposed to be "my quilt, for me". It was there one week before I pulled it off, washed it, and gave it to DD. For some silly reason it just did not feel like my work, knowing I had paid someone to quilt it. Silly, I know, but there it is. Now, if I can't quilt it, I tie it. Much more satisfying to do it all myself.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM

I only have one that I really don't like. Its an exploding star that my daughter asked for special colors on. It is Burgundy and Hunter, and I just don't like it. I will get it done, but I have no idea when
Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Keaghank View Post
Me too! It was when I was just starting and I was trying to follow directions out of a magazine. Oh it was just awful! Turned out OK - I could fudge it enough - and she loved it. Oh well
The only good thing about the purple beast (that was its name in my mind) was all the things I learned from it.