Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has your stash grown? >

Has your stash grown?

Has your stash grown?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:47 AM

My stash has outgrown my space; however, while I still purchase fabric from time to time, it is usually fabric I need for a specific project.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 AM

Mine keeps growing and growing, too. But I think it is because I get "tired" of making different quilts with the same fabric patterns. Currently am working on a "bed spread" queen size organized scrappy.....and still haven't made a dent in what I have. But it sure was "fun" in the beginning!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Mine is about the same. I sold some of my stash on eBay and have given some pieces to friends. Still trying to get organized.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:16 AM

My stash has decreased. I started several years ago using my stash. Except for one quilt, I have only bought what I needed to complete a quilt.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
Mine has grown a lot, although much I have are leftover pieces from quilts I've made. Not much is any amount of yardage. I have only bought what's been needed to finish a quilt, ie. borders, backing and sashing. I am making more scrappy quilts. I haven't been sewing near as much as I was a year ago. My eyesight and agility of my hands has decreased. I will be having cataract surgery later this spring.
You will be amazed how much better your eyesight will be after your cataract surgery. Had mine done last year and can see better without glasses than I could with glasses before surgery. I think you will be pleased.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 AM

Ah, my stash! I had good intentions when I started quilting...only buy with I need for the quilt I am doing. Yah, that didn't last very long. I had a manageable amount of fabric and was organized. Over the past few years it has grown by leaps and bounds! Thinking I would retire this past year, I decided to buy what I see and like so I would have fabric when I retired. Oh what fun that was! Then a friend lost her mother, who was a life long quilter. She is getting rid of closets full of fabric and said I could have all I want. She has already given me 5 tubs of fabric and lots of books and magazines, and she is not done yet! Then I had an accident and they totaled my car, so we had to purchase a new one...... life plans change and I will continue to work through 2016 to pay this new car off. Soooo, I have lots and lots of fabric and can't wait to have more time to "play" with it. In the mean time I will try, very hard, not to purchase any more.....oh, but I do need whites and basic colors!!! Yes, the saga goes on!!!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:02 AM

My stash has grown considerably but I am trying to downsize by using as much of it as I possibly can. 2 out of 3 of the quilts I'm working on right now all came from the stash and scrap bins so I'm happy about that. My organization is much better though so I can find what I'm looking for more easily. I'm also those quilts I made a couple years ago quilted so working toward an empty rack there. Have one more large quilt to go and the wallhanging I've got on the frame at the moment and I'll be caught up..........no UFO's left. Even got some of the clothing projects done in the past couple months. Already have a cupboard filled with projects for this year and have started on 1 of them, added a BOM at my local fabric store and Bonnie Hunter's mystery project (all from my scraps and stash..:-).............) I also started making a chart for the fabric collections I keep in stock as well as the quilting threads so I know how much I have at any given time.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 AM

Mine looks a lot like yours. I now only buy if I need something to go with what I need. It's great because the cost of fabric has gone up so much.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 AM

smaller. I quit buying fabric in October 2001. Best decision I ever made.
Fortunately I'd only ever bought fabric I liked, NEVER just because it was on sale. So I still love all my fabric.

Going on the fabric wagon was part of the results in doing FlyLady and spending 9 months going through ever closet, drawer, windowsill etc in my home. And admitting I was being a terrible steward of our money.

Do I want it, or Need it?
Did I take what I saved to the bank and put it in a savings account?
If not I didn't save anything, I only spent money.

Are your retirement accounts fully funded?
Are your children's college accounts fully funded?
Do you have any consumer debt at all?

Just some thoughts from the other side of the slippery slope.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM

Remember the BLOB? It just kept growing and growing and growing.............. . Well, my stash has developed a life of its own and is now busily eating up the room in which it lives. I can still find what I am looking for (98% of the time), but it is getting dicey. The sewing room is now a storage room and I am sewing on the dinning room table (AGAIN).