Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate my pouncer >

Hate my pouncer

Hate my pouncer

Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 AM

Sorry, I love mine too and hand quilt w/mine...try a spray of hairspray when you mark the lines....I understand what you are talking about for hand quilting, but, the hairspray should help....otherwise mark you lines for hand quilting w/sewline pencil...I find pounce to work amazing for me when I machine quilt...it is quick and I can remark at any time....so sorry you having a hard time....try hairspray!! SKeat
Old 09-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Banned

i prefer the pounce powder that has to be ironed off. i've never had a problem with the lines disappearing.

i roll my quilts up and put them on a frame and by the time i reach the bottom of the quilt those lines are still there.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
Sorry, I love mine too and hand quilt w/mine...try a spray of hairspray when you mark the lines....I understand what you are talking about for hand quilting, but, the hairspray should help....otherwise mark you lines for hand quilting w/sewline pencil...I find pounce to work amazing for me when I machine quilt...it is quick and I can remark at any time....so sorry you having a hard time....try hairspray!! SKeat
Hair spray before or after the pounce Skeat?

I will give it a shot again. I was dissapointed with the results so far.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 AM

I hate my pouncer as well but I do love the chalk. I was watching a program with Marilyn Badger and she has a wonderful tip for using the chalk powder.

Get the super cheap foam brushes. Dip the brush into the powder and sweep across your stencil. Lays down a beautiful chalk line. Once your stencil is done LIGHTLY spray hair spray or adhesive over the chalk lines to "fix" to your fabric.

I use it on my machine quilts and it works everytime. If your chalk starts "bouncing" just give a VERY LIGHT MIST of water and that should re activate your hair spray or adhesive and calm down the dust.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 AM

I pounce my lines....then spray:) Now when I pounce...I actually wipe the pounce across the stencil...then I hairspray:)HOpe that helps...:)Skeat
Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 AM

How are you using your pounce pad? You don't actually "pounce" with it. You rub it kind of like a chalk eraser. Spraying it first, with water, was a good idea from littlehud.

Lots of great info here ladies. Thank you. I learned something new. Awesome. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Yeah the name is defiantly misleading. I read the directions and do swipe it across the pattern like it instructed. The pattern goes on quickly and off just as quickly.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM

I also use the pouncer with the chalk that has to be ironed off. I've used it for small projects and it works great. I have not tried it on a large quilt though.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

some people spray the designs with hairspray, then wash the quilt. not sure that would be good on the kind you iron to make the markings go away though.