Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have to buy more than a layer cake or jelly roll >

Have to buy more than a layer cake or jelly roll

Have to buy more than a layer cake or jelly roll

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Have to buy more than a layer cake or jelly roll

Missouri Star Quilt Co. sends me deals every day. Usually a charm pack, layer cake or jelly roll for a ridiculous price. But really, you need yardage of that fabric to go with it for sashing, borders and binding, maybe even backing. Today I filled my cart with a layer cake for eighteen dollars and bought four yards of fabric and it was over forty six bucks!! I closed the screen instead of buying it. So, it really doesn't end up being a big savings in the end, does it? Or do you just buy the layer cake only? And if so, what can you do with just that?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I have never JUST bought the daily special - most of the time I end up tossing in a template or 2.

Since I am not such a fan of matchy-matchy, I generally only get the precut and then supplement from my stash.

You are correct, it's only a saving when you get the daily deal and even then, you have to add shipping.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 PM

I know - I do the same thing - I always check the daily deal - but rarely do I purchase it. I do have a weakness for Moda pre-cuts - I cannot get enough of them. I always find the best prices on Moda pre-cuts at www.greenfairyquilts.com - or sometimes on Etsy - I usually purchase them online - then I will go to my LQS and buy coordinates so I can see everything in person.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I ordered the layer cake special today, the shipping is only $5 and even added to the layer cake cost, it is a great bargain. I can find backing in my stash and a layer cake will make a nice double bed size quilt when borders are added, again from my stash. The specials actually help me use my stash.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM

I often just buy the daily special. I usually get fabric to go with it somewhere else. My churndash tablecloth I just finished came from a charm pack special at Missouri Star Quilt co. and the other fabric is Walmart.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 AM

I have gone to ebay to find matching yardage for precuts.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 AM

I look at it every day but rarely act on it. An exception was recently when I bought titanium scissors for 50¢. Adding the $5 shipping to that still made the purchase reasonable.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I buy the daily special only now and again. I feel like I need to make the package worthwhile since I am paying shipping, so may purchase a little something too.