Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have learned to Tie on this Board, but need more info.

I'm getting ready to tie a quilt that I just finished. I was wondering if I should tie in only the four corners; which I've have been told to do, but I think it would look better if I tie it over the entire quilt. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Steffie

Blog Entries
    Tying is to keep the front, back and batting together. If the batting or middle is a blanket, then I think you can get by with few ties. But for one with batting, a closer grouping would keep the whole thing from shifting. Look at the package the batting, if any, came in. They will have suggestions as to how far apart the ties can be.

Blog Entries
    Tying is used instead of Quilting and I tied mine about 5" apart using the pattern of each block (sampler) to guide me. Many quilts can be tied using a "grid" pattern of ? inches apart.

The purpose of tying is to hold the layers together.

Have fun!

I would check you package of batting (if you are using some) and see what they suggest. Otherwise go with the 5". That has worked for me.

most battings reccomend about 4 inches apart.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisingStef
    I'm getting ready to tie a quilt that I just finished. I was wondering if I should tie in only the four corners; which I've have been told to do, but I think it would look better if I tie it over the entire quilt. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Steffie

I have tied in the corners and then added ties for a more pleasing visual effect. It's your quilt...do what's pleasing to you...there is no right or wrong way other than making sure your basic ties hold the layers of your quilt together.

If the quilt is going to be washed...the ties, like quilting, keep the batting from shifting and bunching up. I tie 4-6" all over.

I like the look of ties on the corners, but if the blocks are over 5" I will tie in the center also. No "quilt police" on this one. Do what you like as long as it holds your sandwich together.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love tied quilts and have made a few. I tied around 4 inches apart but I would check the batting package to be sure.
    They are so cozy! :D

I want to thank everyone who has replied; such good advice, and I'll check the package now and start my tieing.
    Steffie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast