Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have a newbie question... just bear with me please! :)

Have a newbie question... just bear with me please! :)

Okay, so my first quilt top that I finished is all different colors... some whites, dark pinks, light pinks, turquoise, brown, yellow, etc etc etc. I have a light pink border and a dark brown with pink polka dot border. The backing I decided I wanted to be chocolate brown. I told one of my quilt-savvy aunts my plan and she thinks I should do a white back because the light thread used on the front will not look right on a brown fabric backing. I didn't even THINK about this issue! Is there any way around this or will it look okay? In my mind's eye, I kinda think it would look cool with the quilting pattern really showing up on the dark background, but maybe not. And what about the quilt top? Will white thread really be the best choice with all those colors?

Thanks so much!
    Candace

Blog Entries
    I usually pick a busy backing so the quilting isnt so obvious. Also helps hide mistakes!

Blog Entries
    You could use invisible thread in the bobbin.
    Bernie

Are you quilting it yourself or sending it out to a long-arm quilter? If I were doing it, I'd want a thread that matched the back or use a print on the back. If it's being quilted on a long-arm, the quilting usually looks beautiful on a solid back...but you'd want to discuss that with the quilter.

Blog Entries
    I think it's a matter of personal taste. I personally would like the quilting pattern showing up on the back. And, quite honestly, since it IS the back, how many people will be seeing it?

Thanks all I'm sending it out to be quilted by machine. I don't know if that means long arm or not, but I assume so. I will talk over my options with the lady that will be quilting it.

Candace

Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts722 View Post
    Okay, so my first quilt top that I finished is all different colors... some whites, dark pinks, light pinks, turquoise, brown, yellow, etc etc etc. I have a light pink border and a dark brown with pink polka dot border. The backing I decided I wanted to be chocolate brown. I told one of my quilt-savvy aunts my plan and she thinks I should do a white back because the light thread used on the front will not look right on a brown fabric backing. I didn't even THINK about this issue! Is there any way around this or will it look okay? In my mind's eye, I kinda think it would look cool with the quilting pattern really showing up on the dark background, but maybe not. And what about the quilt top? Will white thread really be the best choice with all those colors?

Thanks so much!
    Candace

If you use a contrasting thread to the backing, you really get another quilt for free. Do it your way!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    It's your quilt do it the way you want. I like to see the quilting on the back! I think the brown sounds great!!

Solid colours can be very unforgiving. I totally agree with snipforfun on using a busy background.

cant you use a different color in your bobbin then on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast