Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Done This?

Have You Ever Done This?

Not terribly long ago, I bought some very pretty fabric and made a Warm Wishes lap-quilt top. Had some left-over fabric (never mind that I purposely bought too much), so decided to make a second one, from the "scraps." So far, so good. Was having so much fun with the pattern, I made more, in different fabrics. Four tops, total. Okay, time to actually finish one. So . . . the other day, I pulled out a top, backing, and batting . . . but got to thinking it really ought to be a bit longer. Had enough scraps from that one, to make another two rows, for the length. Added the extra rows, then pulled down the roll of Warm & White again, to measure. Hmmmm. Ought to get two from the width, instead of wasting. Pulled out another top . . . and decided it really needed to be longer, too. As a matter of fact, I should make all of them longer. Pulled out all scraps, from the tops. Okay, I think I can get enough for the second one, if I cut my scraps carefully. However, the other two (the ones kinda alike) needed just a bit more of the light fabric. Off to Hobby Lobby, I went. I needed only about 1/4 yd of the light fabric, to finish those two tops . . . but what did I do? Thing is, I really do like that fabric . . . and it seems such a shame to get such a small amount. Since I got extra of the light, I knew I should get more of the focus fabric. Anyway, so now I have fabric to finish the two short ones and make a third of those two fabrics (I'd already stocked up on the third fabric) . . . and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have left-overs . . . .
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

But just think of all the charity quilts you made. They all go to different people, so what if several are alike. I have made more full quilts with the leftovers. I like to buy a lot if I hit a good sale.
    Jean in MI

I love the challenge of using all my scraps from a quilt.

Have I ever done that?
    Nope...
    BUT, would if I found a bargin on the fabric.
    If you love the fabric and are having fun... then it's all good!

Oh yeah, many times!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Can't say I've done exactly the same thing. But when I buy fabric for a project I always buy way more than I need.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

no. i don't collect fabric, i'm a notoriously slow quilter and i tend to be careful when i'm buying fabric to buy enough for the project and to waste as little as possible. i just don't seem to stockpile much of anything.

i also tend to do a project once, and then move on to something else. the only pattern i have repeated is the rail fence, and each time i've done a variation.

but i love the way you wrote that out.

it made me giggle all the way through!

aileen

Reminds me of the children's book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." Very cute.

LOL! I have done similar things.. "hmm.. needs just a bit more.. a 3rd of 4th border.. oh.. its to small here.. ".
    I have one quilt I went back to get more fabric three different times before it was the "right size"!

I mostly buy way to much.
    But I never have to be afraid I haven't enough if I make a mistake cutting!!!
    I like the way you told your story
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast