Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done THIS? >

Have you ever done THIS?

Have you ever done THIS?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:08 PM

Default Have you ever done THIS?

Ok so I made a darling little English Paper Pieced table runner (took me forever). And have had it on the table for a couple of weeks now. Fine so far, then I set a pretty heavy book on it and later when I removed the book there was a little impression. Just a small little ball INSIDE the binding. Upon further inspection I realized I had left a pin in it and didn't see it as I was hand sewing the binding on, on both sides all the way around as I wanted it completely hand stitched and no part done by machine. I'm sure the metal part of the pin is in the batting. and I don't feel it but I'd hate to have someone get poked by it, especially if I end up giving the runner to someone else. I also hate taking it apart! So would you take it apart or leave it? And have you ever done THIS?
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM

Haven't done that but I did read a post here a while back where someone quilted a bug into the quilt! I guess I'd leave it if I was keeping the runner. Giving it away...then I'd fix it.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I would take it apart. Since it's a runner, you probably won't be poking anyone, but I would worry about the pin rusting and ruining your runner.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I would find which way the pin was facing and back it off with my fingers until the ball was at a seam. I would see if the ball would fit through the space between the stitches and pull/push it out. If it is under the batt, I would wiggle it through the batt and out through the seam. If the seam is to tight, I would clip a stitch and take out enough of the stitching that I could tie off the ends, remove the pin and hand stitch the opening closed. It would drive me crazy knowing it was in there!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:17 PM

You never know who is going to handle your table runner - possibly a small child using it in a game. So - I would take it out!

Margaret F
Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 PM

I left a pin in a baby quilt once and found it before giving it so I cut it out and whiped the little hole up. We all make mistakes.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:51 PM

I would undo the binding close to the pin, take it out and re sew the binding. It would take a little time, but be best in the long run.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:59 PM

This what I would try. Leaving it in could result in rust ruining your runner.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would find which way the pin was facing and back it off with my fingers until the ball was at a seam. I would see if the ball would fit through the space between the stitches and pull/push it out. If it is under the batt, I would wiggle it through the batt and out through the seam. If the seam is to tight, I would clip a stitch and take out enough of the stitching that I could tie off the ends, remove the pin and hand stitch the opening closed. It would drive me crazy knowing it was in there!
Old 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I would take it out. Too much of a risk for injury to you or someone else.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Nope. I've not done that. But I would get it out.