Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done this? >

Have you ever done this?

Have you ever done this?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:44 AM

My niece had a quilt that her grandmother made for her and after years of use and mending that she did on the quilt, she asked me to make a new top and backing for it. I did. I made sampler blocks that pertained to her life and then I made a label and put it on the lower right corner of the back of the quilt and put a little saying on it and then put on that her grandmother made the quilt for her (when she was just a little child) with love and her aunt mended and put a new top and backing on it - with love also. I gave it to her at Christmas and I just got another note from her saying how much it meant to her. She has the quilt her grandmother made for her and the quilt I "mended" for her. And it gave me warm fuzzies to know that Grandma's quilt was still in use and I helped keep it useful. Oh yah, Grandma died several years ago, My niece is 56 and I am going to be 78. Oh yah, nice warm fuzzies!!!!!!! Edie
Old 06-11-2016, 03:46 AM

My very first blanket I made to cover a quilt that was getting quite worn. I still use that "blanket" on our bed and it is getting so worn that I can see the quilt blocks thru the fabric. Years ago we just used to do these things to get by. Now a days it's called "repurposing".
Old 06-11-2016, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I have a wool crazy quilt that is backed with a flannel blanket and who knows what's in between! It's so heavy that sleeping under it is not comfortable.

What do you mean by down alternative? If it has actual down in it I think it would be a pain to quilt--plus beard something fierce. Do yo mean a poly?
one consideration would be the of whether the print onthese would show through. I'd probably just donate to someone that needs a blanket.
It was advertised as down alternative, but I'd bet it's poly. Kinda thin, but the top and bottom are a slippery poly fabric
Old 06-11-2016, 05:38 AM

Use to be very common practice to use quilts as batting in new quilts. Nothing wrong with that. Usually, they tied those quilts instead of quilting because of thickness where seams lined up. Another case of, your quilt, your rules.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:44 AM

My daughter had a quilt that she loved til it was threadbare, but could not give it up. I used it inside a simple quilt and she can still cuddle with her 'blankie'. (She is 30 years old now!)
Old 06-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Try it and see if you like the results.