Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have You Ever Heard Of This? >

Have You Ever Heard Of This?

Have You Ever Heard Of This?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 AM

I scan my fabrics (not all) in groups (could be by color (pinks) or collections (1930's, baby prints) and print them onto 3x5 cardstock. I then write on the back where they were purchased, the amount of fabric of each and if there is a strip on the selvage with the color dots, attach with double faced tape. So easy to carry around in a little baggie!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 PM

I heard of someone having an index box with cards filled with swatches of fabric and potential projects indended. That way they felt organized. I was going to do this but just keeping the fabric folded and stored seemed to do the job. How would you do this and what for?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 PM

I have all my fabrics folded in cabinets. Anything 1/2 yard or larger are folded and placed in cabinets sorted by color - darks, mediums and lights. Then there are sections for special groups, ie. fruits, kids, toille, landscape fabrics, etc. Across the room in another cabinet I have small plastic boxes for fat quarters sorted by colors. Under my table are fabrics by collections - all fabrics that are from a collections, go together to be used together. Sometimes I have the project pattern or idea so they are grouped together in large tubs. Some tubs have just scraps - misc. divided by colors, animals, children, etc. I have 4 tubs - it works well. All containers are labeled so I don't have to rummage through everything to locate something specific. My cards are in baggies - never thought to put them into a box.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM

Not enough hours left in this lifetime to do all that - I keep my stash "meaningful", group them into projects (changes are made when I get new fabric), or store them in themes (children, blenders, batiks, etc). I photocopy fabrics and cut them into mock-blocks to put on a design wall and see if I like what I'm attempting before I start cutting, and I'll take some of those paper pieces with me to buy backing and binding fabric. My goal is to never have so much stash that I don't know what I have, and I promise never to make the same thing twice unless I am prepared to do them both at the same time. Should that ever change, I'll go digital.