Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice? >

Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice?

Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM

I made a quilt called "Yosemite Dreams" which showed (my version of) El Capitan, Half Dome, the Valley and the River, with a red wood on one side and Bridal Veil Falls on the other, complete with bears and rock climbers in the distance and squirrels up close on a wall.

It was my first landscape quilt. I made another much better one. If I find a lull in my life I'm going to make it again, hopefully even better. They were both queen size. Each was truly an adventure.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM

I've made several of the same pattern, but it's super rare for me to use the same colors in the same pattern again and again.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
I've made several Lone Stars - but trying something different in the setting each time. Yeah, they have the same star, but no 2 really look anything alike.

Also Blooming 9-patches - more than a dozen as those are so much fun (for me) working to get the right fabrics. And those can end up with totally different looks - kids brights, elegant, oriental, etc.

I actually got sick of doing 9 patches so I used the fabrics chosen for my last Blooming to make a Lone Star. ;-) The star is done but it's in my UFO pile (for over 4 years :roll: ) while I ponder the setting.

I've made several RainyDay quilts - again, just testing how the the different fabrics can work.

I don't ever use "collections" of fabrics, or charm packs or layer cakes. Way too matchy matchy for me. I much prefer making my own fabric choices. Totally.

I have a fabulous baby quilt I make all the time because it's perfect and graphic and ignores whatever 'decor' the parents might have in mind. ;-) And I always, always know I have the fabrics needed on hand.

With the exception of the baby quilt (which can look similar even though each has different fabrics), I consider each one unique.
Can you tell us what the pattern for the baby quilt is that you use? It's nice to know there's one that ignores whatever the decor is. And a pic please.

I have very few patterns I make twice...that boredom thing. But I have a couple I will make when in a hurry, cuz they're fast & easy.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM

One time I made the same quilt 3 times...

I made it once for a fund raising quilt for our Navy reunion, I made the second one concurrently with the first one because I didn't want to give one that I loved and not have one... So I figured I could make two quilts at the same time without feeling like I was repeating myself and getting bored...

I got the two finished and I was so pleased with my self.. Only trouble was I asked my husband how he liked it. His answer was 'well, it should be Red, White and Blue for the Navy." I had used Burgandy, Navy and Cream... He did not like the 'Americana' look..

So I made another one which was the true Red, White and Blue we all love. Lesson learned, don't ask.. he will tell you what he thinks! Then promptly sold the americana one for $600!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by jodimarie
As much as I love the challenge of a new pattern, there are times when the comfort of going to a well known pattern makes the process so enjoyable.
What a great way to express the sentiment!

I love this also. A great sentiment!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by VickiM
Originally Posted by MTS
I've made several Lone Stars - but trying something different in the setting each time. Yeah, they have the same star, but no 2 really look anything alike.

Also Blooming 9-patches - more than a dozen as those are so much fun (for me) working to get the right fabrics. And those can end up with totally different looks - kids brights, elegant, oriental, etc.

I actually got sick of doing 9 patches so I used the fabrics chosen for my last Blooming to make a Lone Star. ;-) The star is done but it's in my UFO pile (for over 4 years :roll: ) while I ponder the setting.

I've made several RainyDay quilts - again, just testing how the the different fabrics can work.

I don't ever use "collections" of fabrics, or charm packs or layer cakes. Way too matchy matchy for me. I much prefer making my own fabric choices. Totally.

I have a fabulous baby quilt I make all the time because it's perfect and graphic and ignores whatever 'decor' the parents might have in mind. ;-) And I always, always know I have the fabrics needed on hand.

With the exception of the baby quilt (which can look similar even though each has different fabrics), I consider each one unique.
Can you tell us what the pattern for the baby quilt is that you use? It's nice to know there's one that ignores whatever the decor is. And a pic please.

I have very few patterns I make twice...that boredom thing. But I have a couple I will make when in a hurry, cuz they're fast & easy.
I would also be interested in the pattern!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 AM

Yes just in different colors
Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 AM

I have mmade several from the same pattern, but they never look the same
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM

yes but because it was easy and fast. and because it was requested ----- trip around the world
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM

Yes, when I was a quilt pattern tester - in different colors or sizes but the same pattern.