Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever purchased a quilt top from an estate sale? >

Have you ever purchased a quilt top from an estate sale?

Have you ever purchased a quilt top from an estate sale?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ruthie
Hi,
I have not purchased any quilt tops from estate sales, although I would if I could find one. Not many in northern Michigan. However, my grandmother left me 6 unfinished quilt tops that she sewed sometime between 1965 and 1977. I put them away for a very long time and just recently got them out and put them together. I have quilted one for each of my grandchildren. It has been a great way to build my machine quilting skills and my grandchildren have an heirloom that spans 5 generations.
What fun!

I would love it if you could post some pictures of these quilts. I would like to learn more about the fabric that was typical of the 60s & 70s. I just started on a top using fabric samples I bought at an antique mall in Barstow. I think they are from the 60's, but am not certain.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Lisae
I'll try to post a couple of them. I'm afraid the pictures aren't very good but you might be able to zoom in on them to get some ideas. It was very interesting doing these because as I was quilting them I would come across blocks and think "That was grandmas best dress, or those were my pj's, or an apron that my mom wore or my aunt's slacks." It has been a real trip down memory lane.

Bow tie quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4870[/ATTACH]

Rachael's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4871[/ATTACH]

Asia's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4873[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-4870.jpe   attachment-4871.jpe   attachment-4873.jpe  
Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM

Ruthie,

The quilts are beautiful!! Your grandchildren are truly lucky to have them!!

Thank you so much for posting the pictures. I think it is interesting - off hand I would have said that the tops were made in the later 50's, not as late as the 70's. I think I have a lot to learn about fabric from that time.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM

I think some also just like the part of making the tops, then want to do something else, so they sell them. I bought one to use as a guide, I do better at making something if I can see see how it is going to look. I now have an editing program on my puter and have been doing the layouts there. I like trying new patterns, if I feel I can accomplish them.
Deb
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 AM

I have lots of tops, or did until my daughters (my oldest also quilts) took about 15-20 home with them. After they left I found 2 more kig size and 2 twin size. I love piecing and I'm not as fond of quilting. Although I usually have a hand quilting piece in the hoop. It is expensive to send quilts out the average well over $100, for meandering.
So at least in my case there is nothing wrong with the top or piecing, just rather peice. I have also bought many vintage quilts, quilt tops, vintage fabric and feed sacks. Some are well done and some made with loving hands. There is a certain charm in looking at old quilts and wondering what the maker was going trough at the time.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by marieg
I have also bought many vintage quilts, quilt tops, vintage fabric and feed sacks. Some are well done and some made with loving hands. There is a certain charm in looking at old quilts and wondering what the maker was going trough at the time.
I learn a lot by studying old quilts and tops. I like to see how the makers solved problems and what quilting patterns they used.

I've made some quilts and tops after being inspired by older pieces and have been pleased with the results. Years ago, I made a basket quilt, trying to keep in mind a turn of the century feel. I was quilting it during a guild meeting and was very flattered when the speaker, who was lecturing on restoring vintage quilts had to take a second look at it to determine it was a modern quilt.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Lisae,
I'm sorry, I meant to say that they were PIECED in the 60's 70's. Some of the material could have been as early as the early 50's. She saved every scrap of fabric and all of our old clothing. Now I'm not giving away my age but I haven't worn kids pj's since the late 50's early 60's and I know some of that material came from some of mine. So you may be right on the mark with your dating. Glad you liked them and I could be of some help.