Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever seen some one with long nails quilt??

Have you ever seen anyone with those fake long nails quilt or even sew?
    We have a LQS that the owner has those ungodly long nails & says she can quilt just fine with them. I have watched her try to pick up something small in the shop or try to seperate the fabric when it is folded & she has such a hard time.
    Was just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Don't mean to offend any of those of you who do where them, I just couldn't do nothing with my fingers. I have to feel what I am doing.
    Donna, T

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Only good thing I can think of is that she can separate layers of fabric easily. Other than that, not so much.

Yep, I have had them and they do take some time getting use to a different way of doing things. I didn't have them extra long, just long enough to annoy others.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My nails are long...and people always ask me how I can do anything with them. Well, I have had them a long time...you learn to work with them. my left thumb nail is about 2" long, from cuticle to the tip, and I use it as a stiletto when sewing! I keep them long by keeping a solar gel coating on them. My left thumb nail has a quilt block with a star painted on it right now! On average my other nails stay at about 3/4" long from cuticle to tip!I also keep them rounded and more natural than most people with fake nails!

Blog Entries
    What is a Solar Jell? Best I've found so far is a Walmart bottle
    labeled HOOF. Makes nails longer and stronger. If there's a better one I'd like to know of it.

Thank you for mentioning this. And I'd really like to know where you get it?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I keep my nails long, real nails not fake. I forget they are even there because I am so used to them. when 1 breaks off it drives me carzy because the tips of my finger will hurts from not being used to touching things.

Blog Entries
    I have fake nails. I wouldn't say they are really long? They are about half an inch from tip to cuticle. But I get lots of stuff done.....IDK? It is probably just a matter of adapting.

Where do you get the solar gel coating? My nails are so soft and fragile that when I had fake nails for a while, mine turned to mush after a few months and the fake one would not even stay on!!! I have to say I did adapt to them, and loved them while they lasted! I was in the Army at the time and couldn't get fancy with the polish though :(

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I used my nails to quilt with. My middle finger nail on my right hand is used to push the needle during handquilting. They aren't real long but they are acrylic with gel on top. I don't use a thimble at all!

i have to keep mine short as I teach small kids swimming and so easy to scratch them when working with them. Also, I care for my 94 year old mom and have to be careful when changing her depends and clothes etc not to scratch her b/c of her thinner skin. Short nails does make it hard to pick up pins tho.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast