Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever taken a quilt you made apart and put in new batting? >

Have you ever taken a quilt you made apart and put in new batting?

Have you ever taken a quilt you made apart and put in new batting?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM

Default Have you ever taken a quilt you made apart and put in new batting?

Many years ago - I am fairly sure it was about 25 years ago - I made patchwork Christmas quilts for my daughters. I used ties and they are still doing okay. But my eldest DD was concerned because she could tell the batting inside wasn't holding up and asked me to take hers apart and put in new batting.

It is not like I don't have quite a few unfinished projects in the closet, but why not? Sure, I will do it. So today I was able to cut the ties, un-sew the edges and pull off the old batting. It was pretty bad - but I attribute that to being tied and not the best quality of batting (but I didn't know then what I know now about batting). I put the front and back pieces in the washer on delicate and very impressed on how they came out. But I ran out of starch so decided to stop until I get more. This time I plan to do shadow quilting instead of ties.

It just makes me laugh though, here I am making work out of an old project rather than finish one sitting in the closet waiting.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Many years ago - I am fairly sure it was about 25 years ago - I made patchwork Christmas quilts for my daughters. I used ties and they are still doing okay. But my eldest DD was concerned because she could tell the batting inside wasn't holding up and asked me to take hers apart and put in new batting.

It is not like I don't have quite a few unfinished projects in the closet, but why not? Sure, I will do it. So today I was able to cut the ties, un-sew the edges and pull off the old batting. It was pretty bad - but I attribute that to being tied and not the best quality of batting (but I didn't know then what I know now about batting). I put the front and back pieces in the washer on delicate and very impressed on how they came out. But I ran out of starch so decided to stop until I get more. This time I plan to do shadow quilting instead of ties.

It just makes me laugh though, here I am making work out of an old project rather than finish one sitting in the closet waiting.
How is the rest of the quilt holding up after 25 years of use?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:56 AM

My mother made an Around the World quilt for my daughter. Unfortunately, she used the cheapest fabric she could find. After a few years one of the fabrics totally disintegrated. I snipped all the ties, replaced that one fabric, put in new batting and tied it again - Because my Mother made it for my daughter and my mother passed away and I love them both.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 AM

yes, My grandsons quilt the batting didnot hold up and he wanted me to fix it. Since it was tied I just cut the ties put new batt in it, this time using W and N batt and he loves it . I made him a new quilt but he still likes the old one best. Go figure LOLOL
Old 05-29-2015, 03:54 AM

I am glad to hear the ties are holding up. I have made a tie quilt and have many ties left. I hang my tie quilt and have always wondered if it would hold up.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

No, I have never had to do this. I use Hobbs 80/20 and happy with the results still. Started using this batting when it first came out.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:07 AM

I suspect the new fix will last 50 years!. I know it is a challenge to take apart and fix or repair quilts from the past but so well worth the effort because the enjoyment they brought in the past is extended to the future.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

YES!! I made a scrappy flying geese quilt about 30 years ago that was batted with polyester, which I now never use -- I personally hate it for weight, appearance after quilting (very little in this case), and the way it feels too warm under it.

I spent hours taking it apart about 5 years ago because I never used it any more, yet loved the colors in it, especially how the blues have faded a bit over time, and wanted to love using it again. I will batt it with Quilters Dream cotton or Hobbs cotton and add much more quilting than the straight line row quilting I did then.

The top has held up very well and would look almost like new except for the fabric patterns and that fading.

Jan in VA
Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I took a small quilt apart to repair for my sister. She worked at a thrift store and was in no hurry to have it back. She wanted it fluffier. The batting was lumpy totally fell apart. So had some batting from an estate sale and repaired and birthed it. She was just going to use it for a play mat for her granddaughter but her Shitzu, Holly Mae dog stole it, literally. She found it in the back of her closet. So she uses the other one I sent for the grands and has to keep an eye on her little fur baby. She likes that one too.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:22 AM

I have a quilt my Mother made about 50 yrs. ago. When washing all my quilts haven't been washed in many years, I washed this one and a lot of the batting fell out some of the warn places. It is quilted sort-of close together but, I'm thinking of taken it apart and redoing it. A lot of work, yes, but my Mother made it. Yes I have so many other quilts I want to make but , this one is special.