Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever taken a UFO apart before finishing it? >

Have you ever taken a UFO apart before finishing it?

Have you ever taken a UFO apart before finishing it?

Old 02-24-2017, 06:38 PM

Default Have you ever taken a UFO apart before finishing it?

I am still unpacking boxes from my move a couple of years ago. I came upon a pinwheel UFO that I probably started 10 years ago - I was appalled when I looked at the non-matching points and wonky blocks -- so I took all the blocks apart to the HSTs.

Has anyone else taken a UFO apart before finishing it?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Yes! The reason they had become a UFO was some glaring problem that just kept getting the back burner treatment because other things were more important and then the item wound up in a box or dark corner of the closet and forgotten. When rediscovered, it looked like I should give revival a try. So rip away the offending parts and almost begin again. I am always glad I do these recovery projects. I am sure that most of us have done this.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Yeah, but then I realized I had so MANY more current/future things I want to do that I didn't have interest in re-doing old stuff!
"Honey, there's just not that much time left!!" (Mary Ellen Hopkins, referencing the making of "heirloom" quilts)

Jan in VA
Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 PM

Yes, I thought the top was too plain. I had alternating pieced blocks with white on cream muslin squares. It looked better when I replaced the muslin squares with pieced blocks.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 AM

I have but agree with Jan, no more! Donate!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I have turned old ufos into table runners, placemats, tote bags, beach bags....cut them up and reinvented them into something I wanted to finish when I knew I would never finish the (quilt) .
Old 02-25-2017, 05:55 AM

Yup! I took one apart when I realized that I forgot the sashing. I had about 1/2 of it together at that point! But it looked so much better with sashing! I was happy to finish it appropriately and send it on it's way to it's forever home!

If I ever were to donate a UFO, I'd feel compelled to donate the rest of the material that I was using to finish it too. That way if the future owner of it wants to finish it, they don't have to try to match fabric.

I'd like to see what your finished pinwheel looks like now that you've finished it!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:07 AM

Yes!! For the satisfaction of doing it right and learning from the experience.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
If I ever were to donate a UFO, I'd feel compelled to donate the rest of the material that I was using to finish it too. That way if the future owner of it wants to finish it, they don't have to try to match fabric.
Having the matching fabric is often not necessary. You should see what we can do when making charity quilts out of scraps and UFO's. Don't let the mice nibble on them...donate them to some one who will pick them apart and correct them or use as is for others. Size does not matter either, we can always add or embellish the blocks....Jane
Old 02-25-2017, 07:17 AM

I do some version of that (what the OP said), though I usually cut them into strips, or chunks that get used in improvisational quilts or other art pieces. Some of my best quilts have been made from cut up UFOs. I also use them for FMQ practice. I figure if one has really gotten to the point that I don't want to finish it then it's the same as all the other fabric in my stash, more raw material waiting to be played with

Rob