Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever taught quilting? >

Have you ever taught quilting?

Have you ever taught quilting?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 AM

I only taught Quilting Once and that was to my self about 2 1/2 years ago. Since then I have sent the same book I used for my self to my Oldest Sister to teach her self too. :D
I'm sure you will do fine. I had always wanted to learn how to Quilt and so I did finally after my Best Friend Died and left her Quilting Books to me. :thumbup:
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM

GailG those are the books I mentioned and they are great! I teach from them because they have such great diagrams.

Cookie
Old 03-26-2010, 02:33 PM

Dear I wish you all the luck to stop your knees from knocking.An as the Preacher said this just might give you some thing you might like after you get started.GOOD LUCK AN HAPPY STITCHING &TEACHING OR GUIDEING THEM INTO OUR LOVE OF QUILTING. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cookie's Crafts
GailG those are the books I mentioned and they are great! I teach from them because they have such great diagrams.

Cookie
Yes the books are terrific. I just had to respond before I read the whole thread ( baking today and didn't want to get too involved in reading.) The cakes are done now and ready for delivery. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to my quilting project. {sigh}
Old 03-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
I strongly recommend the books by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes, QUILTS! QUILTS! QUILTS! and QUILTS! QUILTS! AND MORE QUILTS!
After I read your post I went to search thought my quilt books. I have both of those books and I flipped through them. I hadn't looked at them for quite a while.
Thanks for reminding me how good they are.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Dear Karen,
I have been in your place. We got several members of the church that liked to quilt and TOGETHER we helped teach the teenagers how to quilt. With several people we could be all the places we needed to be, at the cutting table, helping with scant 1/4" seams, ironing etc.

I too haven't had the bug to get up in front of folks and speak. But-we finally started a praise and worship service, and they needed people who could sing--and I felt the Lord tugging at my heart. I asked a friend how she could stand in front of a microphone and sing, and she told me she prays, and does it for God's glory, not her own. When put in that form, it is different. Remember, God doesn't call the equiped, he equips the called.

One other thing, I would guess you know some of the people that will be in the class. Can you think of them as your friends? That your friends are there in a get together, and you are showing them something they want to know about? It seems easier to talk in front of people you know and care about. If all fails the old tip of imagining them in their undewear might help de-stress you!
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Hi All,

I've taught beginning quilting and had a blast.
My best q uilting buddy was asked to teach a class for her guild. She 'borrowed' me as a test student and we each did the project. I could spot some things she didn't, so she added notes to her "lesson plan."

Maybe you could 'borrow a friend and then go through the process with her/him and add to your notes for teaching.

That and having a show and tell are big helps. I took my EQ6 and my computer to show color contrast with a particular pattern and as a help for figuring out the yardage needed for a particular size.

Just have fun and you'll do well.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Don't look at it as teaching at all, but sharing your passion!

Then you will do fine.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 PM

I was asked to do the same thing at church years ago and it went very well. I printed off patterns that they could get experience in several methods of piecing and they all did a few blocks that were the same. One to applique, one with curves We did a sampler and I had the yardage requirements from it. It was fun and I'm not comfortable in front of people either. Some people did the squares and made them into pillows. It was a quilt as you go sampler.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I've been asked to help a "start up" quilt group at my church make their quilts. They didn't use the word "teach" but I guess that's what I'll be doing.
I don't want to.
I'll help them make them and remind them there's no quilt police, any "how to's" that I might know, etc.
"Guiding", "suggesting", that's what I feel comfortable with, but teaching?
They want me to be in front walking them through the process as each one of us individually make the same quilt.

Mostly they'll be for charity but they also want to make at least one quilt each year for auctioning to raise money to use for church things (helping pay bills for parishioners, repairs, new computers at the church, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the above uses. And I'd love to help with the quilts.
But "teach"?
My knees are knocking.
I'm very much a wallflower. I love being in the shadows.
Our priest was standing there and told me, with a grin on his face, this might be God's way of helping me bloom. :shock:
Bloom??? I'm too old to bloom!!! :)
My grandkids should be blooming....

Anyway, I'm going to do it. Not because of the priest (who I'm suggesting gets transferred immediately to someplace horrible!! :-D )
but because I'm a sucker for quilting and want more people to see how fun and satisfying it can be, and what is a better way to spend an evening than surrounded by fabric, humming machines, common good goals, etc.
We can even bring our kids and grandkids to watch and "help". Fun.

I know I'm doomed....I'm going to do it.
How have other wallflowers dealt with this?
And where did you send your priest?
You are too precious! With your sense of humor and talent, you will be great! The only suggestion I can offer (as I, too, am a wallflower and hate being in front of people, or even in a room with lots of people), is to focus on the fabric, the tools, and/or one person at a time. Is there anyone you can take with you for support? That might help too. These people are going to love you and appreciate your willingness to help them learn something new. After the first few minutes, you will be so busy, you won't have time to think about nerves. Let us know how it goes, ok? You are going to be great!