Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever used two threads with a single needle?

Have you ever used two threads with a single needle?

I was talking to a Babylock dealer this weekend and he was telling me that I could use two threads at the same time in a single needle on a reg. sewing machine. Of course it would be with a larger eye. Never knew you could do that. Has anyone tried this? How did it work?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you can. It can come out looking like sashiko emboridery if you do it right.

Does the thread tend to shred?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain View Post
    Does the thread tend to shred?

And what size needle works best? thanks?

I do it all the time to redo the top stitching when I'm replacing jean zips, or altering jeans. It's not always easy to get a good colour match in top stitching thread so I used 2 threads and it works fine...and there are more colours to choose from
    Blessings from Janice

Yes I have used two threads in one needle. Once to get a thicker thread look, and the other with two different colors...when I do, each spool goes on it's own spool holder, one thread through each side of the tension disc(at least on my Bernina), and then from there thread as if one thread.

I have used 2 threads for machine embroidery but never for straight stitching.

I have always wanted to try this, is there a certain way the thread should come off each spool?
    PATCHSAMKIM: could you explanation n what you mean about going through the tension disc? My brain isn't working so well today.

I've tried but can't figure out how to thread the machine with two threads, even with reading the directions!

Blog Entries
    I've used two threads in one needle. Have done it successfully two different ways. The first and easiest way was I just took the two threads and treated them as one. Worked fine. I also did it placing one thread on one side of the upper tension disc and one thread on the other side of the upper tension disc. That also worked fine. I couldn't see any difference between the two, so now I just treat the two threads as one. I did not have any shedding. What I used it for was for doing black buttonhole stitching on appliques, so I was going pretty slowly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast