Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality? >

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 AM

In my neighborhood there is a highly respected LQS and am working on a quilt with fabric from there now. Even though a name brand, two of the fabrics are giving me fits because even though they feel great, they fray like crazy. Fabric is just not the same no matter where you purchase it. We no longer have fabric mills here in the United States so all our fabric comes from other countries. Are you all aware of that?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 AM

You can buy good and poor quality at both places. You need to know the brands and how to recognize quality. I'm working with some right now from the wall at Hobby Lobby and am not happy with it. If you are going to spend all the time on a quality quilt then buy from a quilt shop.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 AM

I have noticed that some of JoAnne's fabrics have a lot worse quality than LQS fabrics. Especially one of JoAnne's lines that commonly sells for $4.99 a yard here. I will generally not use that quality of JoAnnes fabric on a quilt top. However, given that, on the Saturday after Black Friday, JoAnnes had the $4.99 fabric reduced to $1.99 a yard AND I could use a 25 percent off coupon on top of that. I make charity quilts for kids, so I bought a lot of yards of the $1.99 fabric for the backing. For backs, I couldn't resist paying $1.50 per yard!! I am lucky to have a friend with a sheet-making business who gives me novelty scraps for the charity tops, so with the cheap backs I can make the charity quilts without spending much $. But if I were making an heirloom quilt I wouldn't use the cheaper JoAnne's fabric because I am fortunate to have 2 LQS that sell quality fabric for $5-$6 per yard.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 AM

I like the Local Quilt store fabric, the quality is so much better than at JoAnns or Walmarts. Once you feel QS fabric you won't want to sew with anything else.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I have been buying fabric from JoAnn's and Wal-Mart for years, and it's like any other store or even quilt shop. You need to check the fabric out, as I have seen very thin fabric at Wal-Mart and JoAnn's. A friend of mine used to be the manager of the fabric dept. in a local Wal-Mart. She told me that Wal-Mart buys the very same fabric as JoAnn's and the quilt shops, but because they buy in such large quantities they can get the fabric at a better price. Wal-Mart has brand named fabrics, like VIP, can't remember the other names right now since my local Wal-Mart has not carried fabric for quite some time, but just check out the fabric before you buy it. I have gotten some great fabric for $1 or $2 a yard and up, so I feel I get the most for my money. A Hobby Lobby just opened up near me, but I have not had a chance to go there and check it out, but my girlfriend said it is good fabric, just at a better price. With no local quilt shop to support and limited funds, I go where I can get the most value for my money, and the quilts I have made have lasted.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 AM

I also agree with Honeynga. My grandkids are not going to say, "Oh, I shouldn't drag this around the floor/ground because grandma paid lots of money for the fabric." I enjoy making quilts and whatever for my grandkids for them to use, not to put on the shelf. I will keep purchasing from JoAnn's - with my coupons. I also shop at a couple of LQS from time to time. I think you should spend your money where you can afford to and where you are comfortable with. Have a happy weekend. Going to finish my Christmas quilts now.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 AM

I shop at JoAnns mostly because of budget issues. $12 a yard at the LQS is out of my reach. Online I can save a bit, but the shipping is a killer. JoAnns does have some very good quality fabrics- mostly designer. Heavy weight, minimal shrinkage (I'm a prewasher). Using coupons and shopping sales is the ONLY way I shop. I can't believe their "regular" prices on seasonal items. They seem to be intentionally marked up in anticipation of the couponing and sale reductions. Don't know why anyone would buy those items at full price!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I shop at JoAnns mostly because of budget issues. $12 a yard at the LQS is out of my reach. Online I can save a bit, but the shipping is a killer. JoAnns does have some very good quality fabrics- mostly designer. Heavy weight, minimal shrinkage (I'm a prewasher). Using coupons and shopping sales is the ONLY way I shop. I can't believe their "regular" prices on seasonal items. They seem to be intentionally marked up in anticipation of the couponing and sale reductions. Don't know why anyone would buy those items at full price!

Get on the mailing list for Fabric.com. They are some FABULOUS sales if you are patient. Shipping is free for $35 or more. I have bought lots and lots of their fabric for $3.99 and less. It is brand name quilt shop fabric--just older lines. If they do not tell you the name of the manufacturing stay away from it. I got some lousy red white and blue junk...stiff and yucky.

Connecting Threads has some wonderful fabric for $2.99 right now--lots and lots of their lines. I think it is very good quality.

I make ALOT of charity quilts and use these bargain places for most of my fabric.

Last time I went to Joannes for some brown blender I was shocked at how much the prices had gone up for just the regular cotton on the wall. $7.99 for stiff junky stuff. I used to buy lots there.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM

I would rather buy JoAnn's. I never have a problem with it. I decided to go to a quilt store for some material. It is nice but it shreds. And it is more expensive. I like JoAnn's much better. But To Each Their Own.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Maybe her work wasn't any more beautiful when she had good and proper materials to work with but my guess is that is was easier to crochet with the items your husband bought for her. Bless your husband for his kindness.
Originally Posted by Honeynga View Post
I get frustrated, aggravated, exasperated and intimidated by this kind of thread. MY problem is I just don't have the money to buy the "best" fabrics.......I enjoy quilting and am thrilled when I make someout out of a JA's fabric that looks half way decent ! When I think back to our ancestors making quilts they didn't have LQS, JA's, Wm"s, etc...they had to use what they had. If I could I'd buy the finest quality fabric i could fine,but I can't. I'm retired, live on a very limited income, am somewhat disabled, can't work even if I could find a job...no one wants to hire a 65 year old these days anyway ! My heart and my gut tell me to do the best that I can with what I have; I really don't care if these quilts last 50 years or not, I make them for the moment, the joy and the joy of sharing them with my loved ones.

I still have some clothes of my 30 year old daughter that I smocked for her when she was younger; most of the fabric came from the local Hancocks and still looks GOOD ! Too, I have several framed cross stitch and needle work items that I did in the early 80's and the supplies came from Leewards (remember them?), Joann's, etc......I have one needlework pillow that I bought the supplies from a local needlework shop and it looks like crap.....colors have faded terribly.

Again, work with what you have available and enjoy it !

Years back I somehow met this this very old woman that loved to crochet....she had the thin cotton thread and a bent safety pin.......my then husband took it upon himself to take this woman to a local craft store for her to buy her selection of crocheting thread and a selection of crochet hooks......she was thrilled...but you know what ? Her work wasn't any more beautiful than when she was using what she had !