Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made any baby quilts lately? >

Have you made any baby quilts lately?

Have you made any baby quilts lately?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Have you made any baby quilts lately?

If so... who chose the fabric? Mother or Grandmother?

And were the colors traditional baby pastels, or something different?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM

Made two this summer and I choose the fabric, they were thrilled
Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 AM

Working on one now. Its a kit from Keepsake Quilting called Peek a Boo , an I picked it . Great grand child . do not know sex. joyce j
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I also pick the quilt. I buy kits (love them) and I choose what I like because it's from me.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
If so... who chose the fabric? Mother or Grandmother?

And were the colors traditional baby pastels, or something different?
the one I need to finish TODAY is from a gal here. She gave it away, it was a roll she'd gotten somewhere. I added one fabric. Very cute. I'd post pictures but with my slow computer, it's just not worth the stress.(to my step great grand daughter)

My DD picked out a couple pieces for her baby and I picked out some. Some still laying around waiting.......

My son's BF's DD picked out her own focus fabric and a few things to go with it. But since she knows nothing about sewing, I added a few tiny prints to finish out the quilt. The design was way larger than I'd ever have chosen so I had to find a way to use the focus fabric best. Ended up making 9" high by 11" long (more or less) pieces with the little prints as sashing.

I'd much prefer to be consulted, because as in above case, the very cute print was not easy to work with. Would never have worked for most currently popular patterns. I did have one piece of 9x11 left and ended up making a precious book bag to match.

Again, not worth the stress to me to post pictures.

Another
Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Forgot to add to last post---------------E's quilt is baby prints. My DD's are mostly baby stuff, but the prints from a gal here are NOT baby prints at all. Browns/pinks/whites/greens with a blue print I added that I picked up from the existing prints.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM

have made two in the last few months all I was told was that they wanted traditional baby colours and both were delighted with my choice - have made one to order but didn't enjoy it so much as it wasn't my choice!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Traditional pastels and duckies for one, traditional red-blue-yellow (with MORE duckies!) for another, and the third was that Animal Party II print and so loud I almost couldn't do it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM

The last 2 baby quilts I made were different patterns using the same fabric group...Gems of the Sea. I love that fabric, it's so happy and bright blues, greens, aquas, pinks with turtles and fish. I picked the fabrics. The quilts were for my sister-in-law's new grandson and my great nephew. I like using brights. They always seems to put a smile on everyone's faces. I also like to use fabrics that aren't specifically baby prints (baby bottles and such).
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 AM

It's been a year since the last three baby quilts I made. I don't use "baby" fabrics. I may use pastels but they're not baby prints. Two of the last ones I made were dark jewel tone prints and they turned out really pretty. I'll be making a baby quilt right after Christmas and it's going to be taupe, gray, white and pink on an ivory background that has a taupe and gray floral print. The fabrics are just gorgeous together.

The main reason I don't use baby prints is I don't want the girls rejecting the quilt when they're two or three because it's "too baby" for them now.